Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1409 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2013 10:55 AM by heidiforheatlh RSS
runnathon Rookie 6 posts since
Feb 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2013 2:53 PM

Some inspiration...

Boomers and Beyond... there is inspiration out there. Just read about 89-year-old Margaret Hagerty, who finished the 25th annual Shamrock 5K run on Saturday. Apparently, she has run in all previous 24 Shamrock races, and at least one marathon on all seven continents, even Antarctica.

Among the many other marathons Hagerty has competed in were the Athens, Greece, Marathon; the Gold Coast Marathon in Brisbane, Australia; the Mount Everest Challenge; the Great Wall of China Marathon; and a marathon in Sao Paulo, Brazil. She has also run in the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, D.C., and a marathon at the North Pole.

Then there's Fauja Singh, who only took up the sport at age 89! Last month he completed his last race - at age 101 - crossing the finish line in the Hong Kong marathon's 10-kilometer race and retiring after 13 years of competitive running. He ran his first marathon in 2000 and completed eight more, finishing with the 2011 Toronto Marathon.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_region/article_2fd6f740-83af-11e2-8635-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/25/worlds-oldest-marathoner/1946619/

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    1. Mar 3, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to runnathon)
    Some inspiration...

This won't sound right to some people out there, but this doesn't inspire or impress me.

If there is something you want to do badly enough (at any age), for your own purpose, then you should pursue it, and do it with everything you have.

None of this makes me want to run a marathon now, or when I am in my 80's (or 90's).

I'm glad they had the motivation to do it for themselves, but it doesn't mean anything to me.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Mar 4, 2013 3:38 AM (in response to runnathon)
    Some inspiration...

I find these mighty master runners very inspirational and impressive.  Too many people reach a certain age, be it 30, 50, or whatever and decide they are too old to do something like running. To have role models like these two people still running at 89+ sure as heck beats reclining on the couch, or being 6 ft under. Certainly one has to do it for him or her self, but to know that someone else has done it, provides validation that it can be done.

I ran a half marathon followed the next day by a full marathon (Disney Goofy Challenge) at the age of 61. I started running when my daughter asked me to run a half marathon with her and I responded to her...."I'll be 61 at that time and 61 year old women DO NOT run 13.1 miles!" She pulled up race results on the internet and showed me that yes, they do......even 80 year olds.....".so MOM, you can do it too". I did, and I'm glad I did. I know that I have inspired other much younger people to run. 

I am also inspired by those who have overcome great odds to get out there, train, and cross the finish line, be it health issues, obesity, or whatever. I am in awe of those gifted runners who cross the finish line first. Each of us who get out there and pound the pavement or trod the trails reap the benefits of better health and well being.

Thank you RUNATHON for sharing these links. If you are a new runner, good for you!!!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Billy137 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    3. Mar 6, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to PaintingLady)
    Some inspiration...

I have to agree with RB on this one.  Painting Lady - you say " but to know that someone else has done it, provides validation that it can be done." but why does someone else have to do it to know that you can do it as well?  The saying I've always thought was best was - if there's a will there's a way.  If you want to run 13.1 miles or 26.2 or whichever, then all you have to do is train and work up to and then do it.  Yeah there are some limitations with handicap people, but to say nobody else does it so that means that I can't is a complete cop out.  I think it's good to have people inspire you, but in the end if you don't enjoy what you do, you won't last long.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2013 3:43 AM (in response to PaintingLady)
    Re: Some inspiration...

I'm reminded of the young boy at a 5K race a couple of years ago, there were close to a 1,000 people lined up at the start and I heard him ask his mother, "who are all these people, Mama?"   To which she replied, " just people taking care of their health, Honey."

And so it is with the 2 people featured in the articles, they're just taking care of their health.  But in the meantime, you have to wonder how many people were motivated to get up and get moving after reading their stories.

It's not about motivating runners to run a marathon, it's about taking care of yourself, at any age...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    5. Mar 16, 2013 7:31 AM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Some inspiration...

I started running in 2007 at the age of 48 to lose weight.

I have so far lost 60 pounds and I am training for my 6th full marathon.

Like the AARP says not everyone peaks in their 20's.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• heidiforheatlh Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    6. Mar 16, 2013 10:55 AM (in response to Art Davis)
    Some inspiration...

Art, I tried running my wt off too, lost 3 lbs in my first year of this. Very hard! A friend saw my struggles and showed me what she did to lose in a healthy manner..I lost my weight in the next months and have kept it off for 5 years now. Any way to personal message on this board if you want to know the plan I used?

Heidi

heidi@FreetoChooseHealth.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...