Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

626 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 8:28 AM by RunningNut3
Dom3Piece Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2013 12:14 PM

High Arches?

Hi everyone,

I've been running for years, but haven't really educated myself very much. I decided that I would try to look into a shoe that would fit my foot and running style well. I did a running questionnaire that brings up the best shoes according to how I answered the questions. According to the test they have to see how high your arches are, I concluded (or at least I believe) that my arches are considered high. All that to say is I bought a pair of shoes that supports high arches. The specific shoe I bought was the Salomon Crossmax Neutral CS.

The first time I went running I felt a lot of pressure on my arches and it was very uncomfortable. The second time I ran, I didn't go as far, but it wasn't as uncomfortable as the first run.

Now my question is: Do I have high arches and my feet are just not use to having support on my arches or do I not have as high as arches as thought and I need to get a shoe that supports a medium height arch?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

-Anthony

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,411 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 9, 2013 3:21 PM (in response to Dom3Piece)
    Re: High Arches?

What made you decide to change shoes? Were you unhappy with what you were wearing? The Salomon is a trail shoe. Do you run a lot of trails? Trail shoes tend to have a decidedly different fit and feel compared to road shoes. High arches do not necessarily indicate what type of shoe you should wear. You could try the "wet test" to check for high arches (http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type). But again, that alone should not dictate your shoe choice. You can get some info from your old shoes, by finding out what type they are (neutral, stability, motion control, etc.) then checking the wear pattern on the sole. Normal wear would tend to be toward the outside edge on the heel (though it could be pretty even), pretty even across the ball, then slightly more toward the big toe as you move forward on the sole.  Excessive wear toward the inside edge would tend to indicate overpronation; toward the outside edge, underpronation.

But I'll go back to my 2nd question. Were you unhappy with what you were wearing? If not, and they don't show an unusual wear pattern, why not stick with them or another shoe with similar characteristics?

Len

Len

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    2. Mar 18, 2013 8:35 PM (in response to Dom3Piece)
    High Arches?

Lenzlaw had great questions you need to consider. Note also, that anytime you change a type of shoe or insert you need to give yourself time to adjust. I would recommend wearing the new shoes around daily starting with 2 hours and adding 2 hours daily. In a week if there is no pain you can start to run in them. This is similar to what I did when I got orthotics.

Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles

• RunningNut3 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    3. Mar 19, 2013 8:28 AM (in response to ultimatehlth)
    High Arches?

I agree with ultimatehlth, any transition to a shoe that has different support needs to be done over a period of time. When I switched from my big ol asics to my saucony's, I took about 2 months of alternating between the two before I fully switched.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners
    Geek Turned Runner - Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...