Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

361 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 12:51 PM by CHALMR
CHALMR Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 19, 2013 12:51 PM

Time Warp - What's happening with running shoes?

I recently had to take about a year off from running due to a 50 year old meniscus that needed some cleanup. I was running 50 miles/week and racing 5 mile and 10K's at about a 6:10 pace.

I am now ramping back up to see what, if anything, is left in the tank. I have not purchased new shoes in a while. Leading up to my knee issue I had been experimenting with doing all my running in a racing flat based on the minimalist trend. I can't help wondering if that was the final straw on the camels back regarding my meniscus. I thought I would go back to saving the flats for races and speed workouts and wearing a more protective shoe for long and recovery runs. I am running in Asics Landreth and was racing in the Asics Hyper Speed so I thought I would just stick with that. I am 5'8" 150 lbs neutral gait.

I work in Boston and decided I would take a walk over to Bill Rogers Running Center at Faneuil Hall but it was borded up. When I got back to the office I searched the internet to see where they relocated to. Wow I must have totally checked out!!!  Not only did they close but my favorite shoe consultant, Jason Kehoe, had passed away. How sad.

So I went to City Sports and I feel as though I was asleep for 50 years and I am just waking up to all this change. I know the minimalist thing was in full swing but I don't know what to make of what's out there now. The uppers are mostly plastic instead of that soft mesh and my color choices are limited to bubble gum or graffiti! Forget about the Landreth (mostly white with blue/black stripes) or the Hyper Speed (mostly white with red/black stripe). Those models have  been discontinued.

OK I can get over the color thing but what can I use that's similar in feel/function to the Asics Landreth and the Hyper Speed for a flat?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points