Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

545 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 7:07 PM by Ibelis27 RSS
Ibelis27 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 27, 2013 6:23 AM

Need Help: work night shift advice on running???

Hello,

I work the night shift.  I work 7p-7a two times a week and one 11p-7a shift.   In total I work 32hrs a week.  I always do my 12 hr shifts in a row (weekendays) and I work the 8 hour shift on my weekends on.  I work every other weekend.  My question(s) is Does anyone else work night shift and how do you incorporate running with this schedule/lifestyle?  I will be on this schedule for awhile and need help.  I was doing great with my running until I started this night shift.  My training is just all off...:(

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 3, 2013 4:29 AM (in response to Ibelis27)
    Need Help: work night shift advice on running???

Hi. I work swing shift 5 days a week, 7 pm to 3 am, so I can understand somewhat and sympathize. But you have two very long days indeed, 12 hour shifts in a row. Currently I take two days off a week, run 4 days a week with one day cross training only. I almost always work out after my shift, and it's usually right afterwards stopping at the gym or going home and running on the street. My thoughts is if you also take two days off a week, try to make them during those long 12 hour work days. Be ready to shuffle workouts around when you need to. Last thought is to try to get some sort of routine, which goes whether you plan to workout when you get up, before work, or after work, or what-have-you. I personally don't think I could work out after working 12 hours, so would make those my off days for sure.

Good luck

~D

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec