Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6786 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 4:14 PM by SeeFluffyRun 1 2 Previous Next
SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
Jun 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2013 1:01 AM

Started C25K in Late March 2013?

Hi everyone!

I just finished Week One this morning. This is actually my second time doing the C25K, I completed it this past September (after a stop and go history).  Last time I was very encouraged and held accountable by a thread of people who started at roughly the same time, and thought I'd see if that can happen again. (If there already is one going for this time period, let me know, I didn't see it in a quick browse.)

I'm Pamela. I'm 27, I actually just moved to India in November and got married in late February! Lots of life changes, and with life changes came stress and fitness wasn't really prioritized, which is why I feel like I should restart the C25K instead of trying to pick up where I left off. Plus while I finished, I didn't actually get to 5K, I'm a penguin, I think I was doing more like 2.5 or 3K in a half hour, so this time since I don't think I have lost all of my progress from before I hope to build on it.

I'm also plus sized and would like to lose weight.

So who are you and where are you in the C25K? Looking forward to encourage you all on the way!

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    1. Mar 28, 2013 7:09 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I also started C25K this month.  I had to repeat week 3, but am now into week 4.  For me it's one piece of some major changes in overall lifestyle.  In the past year I've dropped fifty pounds - before taking up running

I blame the running bug on my kid brother, who started doing triathlons in 2008.  I don't think I'll be going quite that far, but I've already set my sights on catching his best 5K time

• HoosierTeacher Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2013
    2. Mar 29, 2013 9:01 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

My husband and I just finished week 4 today.  We have been running on a flat, paved trail in a park, but will be traveling this week and will be running on roads with a lot of hills, so we plan to repeat this week rather than moving on.  I really like the program so far.  The first day of the week is a little tough, but by the end we are ready to move on.  My uncle is a runner, but recently had a surgery to remove a brain tumor.  He is hoping to be able to run a 5K by th first of June, and we are hoping to be ready to do it with him.  Best of luck to you.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    3. Apr 1, 2013 9:40 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Hi I started this week.  I hope to check each day.  How are you guys doing?

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• wantaberunner Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 2, 2013
    4. Apr 2, 2013 7:17 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

hi all.  new here and gonna attempt this program starting tomorrow morning.   currently 255lbs but hoping this doesnt stop me from at least trying.   brother signed me up for a 5k on june 1st so figured i better start now and hopefully at least be able to run most of it by then.

Sep 2, 2009
    5. Apr 2, 2013 8:10 PM (in response to wantaberunner)

Hi Wantaberunner!  You got this! You'll definitely be ready.  You main goal is to try to stay injury free during your training.  So take it slow and just when you think you are taking it slow enough, take it slower.  Running is technique and not a pace. Do you attend 5Ks? If not, go to a few...they really keep you motivated.  And keep checking in. But the number one thing? ENJOY!

Restarted 04/01/2013

Apr 2, 2013
    6. Apr 3, 2013 10:24 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

thanks SeeFluffyRun    just did my w1d1 today and completed it all.  only problem was battery died in mp3 player so i ended up doing half of program by usuing watch and kinda messed up at end thinking i had to run 2 mins instead of 1,   But besided my blond moment i think i did good.  thanks for the words of advice on going slow also, helps alot.  

Sep 2, 2009
    7. Apr 3, 2013 11:43 AM (in response to wantaberunner)

That's great wantaberunner!  Bummer about your MP3 player though.  Thank goodness you wear a watch.  Do you run inside or outside, trail or road?

Restarted 04/01/2013

Apr 2, 2013
    8. Apr 3, 2013 12:05 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

i run outside now that its warmer and its mainly sidewalk running around a little lagoon. its around 2.5 miles around the lagoon and i have been walking it last few weeks.  but as soon as i get to the longer runs on this program ill probally get a change of scenery and try a new route. the program only takes me part of the way around it right now so i just walk rest for now.  Well hope your runs are going great and thanks again for help!!.   ill keep you updated on my progress.  happy trails

• Reid Moore Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    9. Apr 3, 2013 1:32 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I am 50 and I started the C25K program at the end of December 2012.  I am happy to say that I ran my first 5K yesterday!  I am a slow runner so I could never run the 5K according to the time.  I just didn't give up and stuck with it.  Some weeks were better than others.  Overall I liked having a time line.  I run most of the time on the treadmill because I find it easier on my joints.  Good luck and don't give up!

• jenperry2003 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 27, 2013
    10. Apr 3, 2013 5:04 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I started the program at the end of March as well.  In fact I just began week 2 today...  I just turned 40 a month ago, and I just hit my 5-year survivorship from breast cancer!  I've got two beautiful kids, a wonderful husband, and a LOT to live for...  It's time I took control of my health!! 

My 8-year old daughter and I have been doing this together...  She's very fit--on a competitive gymnastics team...their strength and conditioning regimen is incredible...  She's been a great motivator for me.

I really hate running (jogging), but the proud feeling I get when I'm finished is fantastic.  I don't know that I will actually sign up for a 5K when I'm done with this, but you never know...

I'll take any advice/tips anyone is offering!!

Jen

Apr 2, 2013
    11. Apr 3, 2013 5:48 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

got a quick question.  what  do you all do on your rest days? was curious if i go biking or just walking if it will hurt me on the program?  thanks in advance

Sep 2, 2009
    12. Apr 7, 2013 6:12 PM (in response to wantaberunner)

Congrats Jen on 5 years!  I am a 15 year survivor.  I use to hate running. I don't love it now but I don't hate it.  I have to force myself out there most days and feel relieved when I finish...until I run, I feel like a huge weight on my shoulders that I need to go run. And then when I run, I think whew...I don't have to run tomorrow which means I won't feel guilty.  But I love the way it makes me feel about me. I love being outside running the trails.  I love being at 5K, 10K half mary events as a spectator and runner (5K's as a runner) I love the cheering and the music.

My advice...go slow.  Most injuries happen because people do too much too fast.  I thoroughly believe in stretching now that I have had an injury.

I am contemplating signing up for a series of 3 bridge runs.  Here in flat SE Texas, the only hills we have are car garages.  So if we want something other than flat to run in the area, they have these bridge runs (Kemah's toughest 10K (run the Kemah Bridge twice) Galveston's toughest 10K (the galveston bridge) and the Laporte tough 1/2 mary (the la porte bridge. I am scared but I really want to do them. sorta scared of failing.  Maybe by putting it here on the board is my way of being held accountable...you guys now know....who knows.

wantaberunner, I walk on my off days. I really should be doing strength training also but I am not there yet. 

Restarted 04/01/2013

Apr 2, 2013
    13. Apr 7, 2013 7:21 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

well a little update.  finished week 1 today.   and gonna be starting week 2 on tuesday.   no major pains yet,  so the go slow must be working.   hope the rest of you guys/gals are doing good on your journey.   well have a good week ill update end of week on how week 2 went.  happy trails

• Number1Ump Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2013
    14. Apr 8, 2013 11:52 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Finished Week 1, Day 1 today.  The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (or jog).  My 14 year old daughter is a runner so I have to catch her. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...