Skip navigation

1787 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2005 7:47 AM by Wonatriver RSS
Wonatriver Pro 80 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2005 9:26 AM

Freaking Knee Pain

Ok, so I'm at about mile 55 on a metric centruy a few weeks ago and I get some twinginess in my left knee. I take a few days off and all is good. Since then I put in about 180 miles, mostly easy, and no worries.

This morning, I am on vacation in Destin, Florida, I clip in for a spin class at a health club, and the same twinginess comes back (it's been five days since I have been on a bike of any kind), but this time it gets progressively worse....I would unclip, stretch, massage, etc., re-clip and start spinning again. During the class, I realize it is the most intense when I am spinning really fast, and when I add resistance, it isn't so bad....sound familiar???....anybody know what might be going on? It feels like it is below the patella on the inside and it is either pretty uncomfortable, or one time, it just SCREAMED at me, so I got off and quit spinning. Thought I had it licked, but obviously I didn't.

• Tpupnomad Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 14, 2005 10:46 AM (in response to Wonatriver)
    Re: Freaking Knee Pain

I have had a simular problem.  It turned out to be rotation of my knee at the top of the pedal stroke.  Putting shims on the shoe elimiated the problem.  I'd suggest you find a really good bike fitter and have them take a look at what's going on during your stroke...

Good luck.

Roy

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 16, 2005 2:59 PM (in response to Wonatriver)

I get knee pain from riding to long. I usally get it the next day. So I ice my knee and i also wear knee brace which i bought from the local drug store.

• amymilliken Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 20, 2005 7:02 PM (in response to Wonatriver)

I experience the same type of pain. I first got it pretty bad last year during the MS150 ride. I just thought it was because I was new to the sport and pushed too hard to keep up with the guys without a decent base. I get it occasionally still, but mostly on colder days. So...I have two questions:

1) Being that I am new to cycling, is it best that I re-visit a bike fitter or is it really as simple as adjusting the cleat myself?

2) I played basketball in college, so I am very protective of my knees. Do I need to worry about any damage to my knee or just pay attention to it without obsessing and move on?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...