Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1449 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 12:12 PM by Gene101 RSS
LoriKorzen Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2013 11:59 AM

Finishing C25K next week...whats next??? Advice?

Next week, I will be finishing the C25k program and am wondering what program I should do next.  I want to clarify and let you know that I am really slow...I walk at about a 3.2mph and run at a 4.5mph.  Because I live in northern New Hampshire, all of my runs so far have been on the treadmill.  Once I finish the C25K program I will be taking things outside and on more dirt like trails,

My goal is to run a 5K Mountain Mud Run in July at a ski resort with lots of really steep hills.  At first, I was thinking that I should do the 5K-10K program but then I was wondering if I should just repeat the C25K program and try to increase my speed.  As a side note, I am doing a little bit of stregnth training on my days off.  What would you suggest?  If there another program you would recommend to get me in better shape for the mountain run?

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    1. Apr 18, 2013 6:10 PM (in response to LoriKorzen)

When I finished last summer, I also wondered what program to do and ended up just running without a program.  Three days a week at 5am, I run between 3 and 4 miles, depending on how I'm feeling and how much time I have.  I live in Kansas and managed to continue running outside with single digit temps and snow on the ground.  I am very ready for spring!  Long story short, I enjoy the freedom of not being told how long and how often to run and you might too!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Apr 19, 2013 11:37 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)

I ended up running without a program too - and I found myself really sporadic and on and off, until I decided to set a mileage goal per week.  Now I run at least ten miles a week (but am adding on because I'm running a 10k in June) and I have found that to be really great.  It's flexible, so I can run a long run of five and then a two mile and a three mile run, or I can run four runs a week that are shorter... for me it's worked because I have little kids and an unpredictable schedule sometimes.  But I keep track on a calendar and feel great at the end of each week, and love the feeling of running for three or four miles without stopping... I never thought at the beginning of C25K that that would be ME!

I didn't really like the 5k - 10k ap, I downloaded it and just... didn't like it.  and I LOVED c25k.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• db_woodall Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3. Apr 24, 2013 7:02 AM (in response to LoriKorzen)

Having both long term and short term goals helps a lot. My advice is to take it slowly.  Run a few 5Ks and see if you're still motivated and want to go for longer distances. Then build up to a 10K, 15K, a half, etc.  I saw a thread about a guy upset about the Boston bombing and has decided to run Boston next year - starting from zero.  Commendable, but doubtful (and will probably injure himself in the process).  Subscribe to Runner's World, spend time in the forums, soak up everything you can about training (for example, runners prefer to indicate pace in minutes per mile rather than miles per hour).  There are smart ways to build up distance and speed, maintain your base, and recover from injury.  For beginners, I think Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run plans are really good.  You can find him on the web, and he has some Disney training videos on YouTube.

-dave

• Gene101 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    4. Apr 29, 2013 12:12 PM (in response to LoriKorzen)

First, congratulations, the world of running belongs to you. My advice is to keep up those long endurance runs once a week and do running workouts twice a week. Your workouts could include; a beginners sprint program which will make you stronger and faster. A trail run through scenic areas, hill climbs and a beginners weight training program on days you don't run. Whatever you prefer, whatever you enjoy, whatever you think your needs are to make you stronger and less apt to injury. All these beginners programs can be found online. This season you'll probably run several 5K's but a mud run on a difficult course may not be the way you want to begin! Get out of town once in a while and run in other cities and states, stay the night, take in the sights. Try to eat right and stay away from the energy drinks...a whey protein shake after a good workout is ok. I'll see you at the start line, good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...