Skip navigation

613 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2013 3:11 AM by ChalesKENYA RSS
ChalesKENYA Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2013 3:11 AM

Help Student Athletes in Kenya, Africa

Hi Friends,

Dear Coaches I am Charles, and I am writing to you as a young Coach in Kenya, Africa.

Professionally I have graduated with a Degree in Business Information & Technology From Strathmore University in Kenya.

Voluntarily I have started a program where I have been Coaching Basketball to a School in the Kenyan Interior which have otherwise never had the chance to play competitive basketball. With keen focus being to develop their studies highly too, to ensure that they can get scholarships abroad & locally and they can change their lives forever.

Since Begining the program in October 2012 the High School games are played in March, which we participated in, for the 2013. It was a successful season for the boys, who despite all the challenges were able to achieve the success of going three levels higher than any other team in the history of the school has ever achieved. Initially the school would get to the entry level and would be beaten by other teams and therefore the start of their season was the end of their season. However this season we went to the 4 level of the competition beating different many teams in our county (comparable to a State in the USA) and finally emerging 3rd in the County, however sadly only positions 1 & 2 proceed to the Regionals & Finally to the Nationals.

We would have gone higher only that we were constantly relying on a team of 5 because the school has only 5 Kits, therefore I couldn't make substitutions, the boys were playing in flat light rubber shoes as they can't afford basketball shoes.

Pre-season only happens in the most deplorable of facilities on the school's gravel basketball court, with torn rubber shoes, one ball, no kits, no equipment for pre-season conditioning.

I know that there are many talented young people in this sport in Kenya & I would like to expand this program to other such schools, however they never get a chance, and one way of giving them a chance to change their lives and the lives of their communities, is to make them Student Athletes.

I am requesting for your kind assistance trying to find ways through which, you can assist to fund the building of Basketball courts and reaching out to well wishers who could donate pairs of Sports Shoes they don't use, or Who would be willing to donate or fund purchase of equipment used in training like Quality Balls, Kits & Wear.

If not directly kindly point me in the right direction. Mine only desire is to help give another child a chance to help others in life. I believe you will offer a kind helping hand to this noble cause.

Mungai Charles

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...