Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

427 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 10:09 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT
PollyAnn Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2013 7:03 AM

How to get started again?

I've been off from running for a week, due to a a cut that I had on the bottom of my foot. Its 100%, now. But wanted to know if I was currently running 60k-70k wks, what kilometers should I be looking at doing when starting back this week?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 21, 2013 2:59 PM (in response to PollyAnn)
    How to get started again?

In this case, a week off should not affect your fitness. (It might if you had a cold or the flu.)  You may want to take it easy the first couple runs, to make sure the cut is healed and doesn't affect your stride.  Otherwise, you should be able to get right back.

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Apr 22, 2013 10:09 AM (in response to PollyAnn)
    Re: How to get started again?

I agree, but if you have been hammering away at the upper edge of your mileage quota for a while, this would be a great time to cut back to 50k or so and enjoy the benefits of your training so far. The adaptations your body makes to your training continue for weeks, so you really won't lose anything by cutting back some.

In fact, you will get around one problem that bothers many athetes, which is to cause other problems by favoring a recent injury to the extent that it alters your stride, footplant, posture, etc. Don't run through pain, and make sure you can run without thinking about the foot.

BTW I stepped on a large thorn recently that pierced my champion rubber sandal and went right into my foot. It drew blood, but the pain was gone in a couple days. Your injury being a cut subject to shear forces, it might take a bit longer, depending on the site of the injury and whether it hit muscle.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4590913002603656&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points