Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2717 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2007 2:27 AM by jkaiser20 1 2 Previous Next
pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2007 3:03 PM

What's good about Active site?

Since there has been plenty of bashing, and I've been in there, let's focus on the positive since it's Xmas.

1. No 90 second rule. Ok, I HATED that about the old CR site. I am way more hyper and constantly had to wait. You wouldn't beleive the number of posts which DW said she found open just waiting for me to submit. I got distracted before 90s hit

2. It's free.

3. No talking ads. Yet.

4. Avatars are fun.

5. Most of my make beleive friends are here.

Whatcha got?

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    1. Dec 25, 2007 3:11 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: What's good about Active site?

I like this thread!!! I like:

• Being able to put pictures in-line without uploading them elsewhere first.

• Enhanced edit capabilities - being able to cleanly go back and fix spelling/grammer mistakes without leaving a trail of "Edited by..."

• The mark-up language which, now that I'm getting used to it, is really quicker and easier - kinda wiki-like.

• I like being a Legend somewhere other than in my own mind.

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    3. Dec 25, 2007 3:21 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I like that my buddies are here too!! 

• TriAndStopMe Rookie 30 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    4. Dec 25, 2007 3:35 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

Um... trying to stay positive... um, um... Okay, I like that I finally figured out that if I use the Plain Text editor (as opposed to Rich Text), the Firefox spellchecker will work.  I've missed that a lot. 

Of course that you folks are all here.  That's the only motive for trying to stick with Active. 

And that they managed to keep the little blue sneaker logo for CR.  It's at least comforting to see on a tab in my browser.

• jkaiser20 Rookie 73 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    5. Dec 26, 2007 12:56 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

1. I like that,

oh never mind, upcoming new years resolution to cut down on sarcasm..

Seriously, I haven't found a single positive point, compared to what I need/want. Is it functional? You're reading this, so yeah. Will we live with it? Unfortunately. Its like a broken shoelace, you deal with it if you have no replacement.

I figure driving jroden away from daily postings will cost me 0.2587 MPH on my next bike split. I could show you the math, but it is pretty rough.

Oh I long for the good old days of November.....

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    6. Dec 26, 2007 6:53 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I don't really have a problem  with the new site. I do like the fact that the 90 second rule is gone. I like the fact that my old shortcut link still works.

I like that alot of you guys havent left.

I do wish i could click on some of your avatars to see them better, i am not sure if that is  a active site problem or my eye site problem

• TriAndStopMe Rookie 30 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    7. Dec 26, 2007 7:27 AM (in response to jkaiser20)

I figure driving jroden away from daily postings will cost me 0.2587 MPH on my next bike split. I could show you the math, but it is pretty rough.

Oh I long for the good old days of November.....

Psst.  I think Active Fred is really jroden.

• jkaiser20 Rookie 73 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    8. Dec 26, 2007 9:01 AM (in response to TriAndStopMe)

If a guy wants to hide, let him hide....actually when I read the Active X responses on the Terrified Tithers post, I said hmmm....those were pretty rodenly.

• jroden Rookie 1,350 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    9. Dec 26, 2007 9:19 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I'm not hiding anywhere, although I may use "active fred" (a fred is a derisve cycling term for someone, well like me sometimes) and "active ingredient" just because it's so darn funny, or as me, jroden.

I wish I could say I was spending time on some other website dedicated to XC skiing, but our snow has been slim and I have been busier than I'd like.

On a positive note, I have incorporated this year, hopefully I'll save so much in taxes I can buy more bike crap with all the extra money, or more chap plastic toys to replace the ones the children are presently smashing.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 26, 2007 9:29 AM (in response to jroden)

jroden wrote:

On a positive note, I have incorporated this year, hopefully I'll save so much in taxes I can buy more bike crap with all the extra money, or more chap plastic toys to replace the ones the children are presently smashing.

Watch out for that, the IRS is coming down hard on the S-Corp officer compensation issue.  Seems a few people have been using that little loophole to avoid taxes over the past few years.  Imagine that.  Anyway, it's on the radar screen big-time now.

Dec 11, 2007
    11. Dec 26, 2007 9:37 AM (in response to mbannon)

could you elaborate on how one might "abuse" this law?  my accountant suggested that it would help avoid the self employemnt tax I presently pay.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 26, 2007 10:06 AM (in response to jroden)

If you're presently paying self-employment tax, that indicates you are a sole proprietor.  So any net business profit (income minus expenses) is subject to income tax as well as FICA taxes (Social Security and Medicare).  The FICA tax is 15.3%, so it's a pretty big hit.

If you incorporate, you will be sole shareholder of the corporation and, assuming you elect S-status, any profits are subject to income tax, but not FICA tax.  Sounds great, right?  Save 15.3%, only cost is the additional tax return to file for the corporation every year.  But here's the rub - since the business is now a separate legal entity and you are performing services for it, you are now an employee of the corporation.  So you should be paying yourself a salary.  And a salary is subject to both income tax and FICA taxes.  The loophole is that if you pay yourself an artifically low salary, the portion of corporate profit above your salary escapes the FICA taxes.

But the IRS has finally gotten tired of people playing this game.  It's been abused very badly, with people taking extremely low salaries (sometimes none) with significant corporate profits, so I can't say I blame them for attacking this issue.  But in true IRS fashion, they're going for blood now.  If they can make a case that you (as sole employee) really earned all the corporate profits, they will re-state your salary to the full extent of the corporate profit and hit you with all the back taxes that should have been paid, plus very nasty penalties and interest.  Penalties on payroll tax issues are way more nasty than penalties on income taxes.  Bad stuff.

Bring it up with your accountant.  This issue has very recently become red-hot, which means the nasty audits are just starting.  They should hit the headlines in the next year or so.  I wouldn't be surprised if Congress is forced to take action and close the loophole entirely.

Dec 11, 2007
    13. Dec 26, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to mbannon)

Wow, thanksthat will keep me out of jail for the coming year.  I'll be talking with my tax professional aboutthis, I just want to play it straight, my business is pretty simple from an accounting standpointI just do services and charge money, not many expenses.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...