Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

396 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 3:51 AM by Vespagirl4 RSS
Rose M. Dill Rookie 2 posts since
May 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2013 4:21 PM

Returning to Running

I used to run quite a bit. I've done a few marathons, half-marathons and 5k's and used to participate in bicycling events as well.  For reasons I can hardly remember, I took a long break from running.  I want to start up again because I remember how much I used to love it.  It has been difficult to say the least, especially when I remember what I used to be able to do. I feel like a beginner again! I'm wondering what the best course of action is.  I find that I take lots of walk breaks on a jog, and I get impatient with myself.  Should I try to do no more than 2 -3 miles to start and welcome the walk breaks, or do I soldier on and not take the breaks. The struggle is as much mental as it is physical.  Is there anyone out there that can identify with this?  Thanks!

• Vespagirl4 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 7, 2013 3:51 AM (in response to Rose M. Dill)
    Returning to Running

I'm right there with you! I was injured while training for a marathon years ago and, although I would run occasionally run, I was never a "runner" again. I truly think fear of serious injury has held me back and any little pain or scheduling conflict has been my excuse not to continue. I can tell you that, just like when you started, you don't want to go too far too fast. I know that I am overly cautious (frankly, I need a swift kick in he butt), but if you plough headlong into your training, you know that you are risking injury. Think back to your marathon training: an increase of 10% a week. I would stick with what you are comfortable with for now, and then gradually begin increasing, that 10% again, as you feel you are ready. Then every two to three weeks, back off by a few minutes or a few miles to give your body a break. Right now, your 10% is coming from within that 2-3 mile run in the form of your walks. You just want to slowly reduce the amount of walking time. Think of it this way: you are not taking walking breaks, you are doing interval training. That is what I keep trying to convince myself of at least :)

Since in see now that this post is from April, I hope you have made great progress! My hope is to do the same as I try, again, to come back.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...