Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

411 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 23, 2013 12:15 PM by NzAndy
bugarvernon Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2013 6:41 AM

I can do the distance, now how do I get fast for a half marathon in five weeks??/

A couple of years ago, I ran 3:10/3:12 marathons. My last race was in August 2011 and I ran a half marathon in 1:33:00. For health reasons, I had to stop running completely for three months. I have now been back running for about eight months - three to four times a week and swimming one to two times per week.

I am running a half marathon in five weeks.

I have consistently been running long runs once a week (missing a couple of weeks but not many) of about 20 to 24km for the past three months - averaging a pace of between 5:00min and 5:16 min per km - two of the last three Sundays I ran 22km  at a 5min/km pace.

In the past seven weeks, I have done six weeks of 10-12 x 300m hill repeats (one session per week) and in the last three weeks one speed work session per week for two weeks - the first was 5 x 800m and the second was 6 x 800m.

This past week, I took it easy and did not do a hill or speed session, but did do a long run of 23km (at a 5:13min/km pace).

With five weeks to go, how can I get faster? I want to do 1:33:00, but is that unrealistic? I have not been timing anything but my long runs, which is what I did when I ran 3:10:3:12 marathons - I just focus on effort.

I was planning on running four runs per week for the next four weeks:

Sunday - long run 23 - 24km (5:00 - 5:13 min pace)
Monday - recovery run - 9 - 11km easy effort
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - speed work alternating one week of 8 x 800m (400m jogs between) with 4 x 1600m (800m jogs between)
Thursday - swim of 2.5k alternating fast and slow laps
Friday - 14 -15km run with moderate to hard effort
Saturday - swim of 2.5k alternating fast and slow laps

Oh, and I'm 46 years old, but don't feel it :-).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010

Personally I wouldn't change anything that you're already doing.  Sprints and hill repeats are the fastest way to build strength and raise your aerobic threshold which will allow you to hold a higher level of effort during the race.  At 5 weeks out with the distance part of the equation complete I'd just focus on threshold work with one more longer run around 15 to 18 km 2 or 3 weeks out from the big day.  Be sure to allow that 2 week taper and then relax on race day ready to reap the rewards of your hard work. 

Will you make 1:33?  I have no idea, but you'll have a great day and will always have another race later to try and improve on regardless of how you do this time.  I do triathlons for fun and I don't feel my 42 years either given I can run the legs off my nephew who's a high school football star. 

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...