Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

445 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 5:24 AM by desertfox2012 RSS
Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
Jul 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2013 1:44 PM

Planning to run my first 1/2 Marathon in September - here's my training plan

Hey everyone!

I just signed up to run my first half marathon in September, and I thought I'd post my training plan below since it took me a while to figure it out.  I welcome feedback, and I will post back on how it goes!

Some relevant info:

Me as a runner:  Completed C25K in September, 2012.  Currently running 10-12 miles a week, have been for months.  Running my first 10k in June, but have already done long runs of 6 miles and am going to have fun and run the whole thing as a goal rather than shooting for a specific time. 

Constraints: I have two children ages 15 months and 2.5, and I have to either have a babysitter, take time away from hanging out with my husband on the weekend, or run with the double jogger to get my miles in.  That means that three runs a week are a lot easier to manage for me than four runs a week, and it means that AT LEAST one run a week, and sometimes two (but never the long run) have to be done with the double jogging stroller. 

How I came up with this plan: My husband is a marathon runner and reads a lot of Jack Daniels etc., so watching him, I see him doing intervals about once a week, long runs once a week, and tempo runs a couple times a week.  Two short runs and one long run are doable for my schedule since I can do one or both short runs with the double jogger, and a long run on the weekend when my husband is home and I don't need child care.  I tried to add mileage gradually (lenzlaw mentioned in a previous post the no more than ten percent added mileage a week, sounded good to me! thanks lenzlaw), and I allowed a few recovery weeks in the plan (let's be honest, I'm not going to run 17 miles the week we're on vacation.)

I welcome input, especially about whether I'm doing long enough long runs soon enough before the race, and if I'm ramping up slowly enough, etc.  Are my long runs too long and would it be better to have two four mile runs and a shorter long run?  Any major problems?

I'll definitely post how training goes and how the race goes!  I AM doing this race... it's a destination run for us, and we booked travel plans for our first weekend away from the boys, and it's the weekend of my birthday!  very excited.

Anyway - here's the plan!

Week

Notes

Run 1

Double stroller Run or intervals

Run 2

(With Double Stroller)

Run 3

(Long Run)

Total Miles

1   (April 29)

3 miles with stroller

(1 warmup, 1 hard, 1 medium)

3 miles medium

6 miles easy

2   (May 6)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles medium

6 miles easy

3   (May 13)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles medium

7 miles easy

4   (May 20)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles medium

5 miles easy

5   (May 27)

Recovery week (10k June 2nd)

3 miles with stroller, easy

Walk a few miles

6.2 Miles! 

Running first 10k on June 2nd!

6   (June 3)

Post race, skip

3 miles easy

5 miles easy

7   (June 10)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles medium

6 miles easy

8   (June 17)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3.5 miles medium

7 miles easy

9   (June 24)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles medium

8 miles easy

10  (July 1)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3.5 miles medium

8 miles easy

11  (July 8)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles medium

9 miles easy

12  (July 15)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles medium

9 miles easy

13  (July 22)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles medium

10 miles easy

14  (July 29)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles easy

10 miles easy

15  (August 5)

Recovery week, on vacation

3 miles easy

3 miles easy

3 miles easy

16  (August 12)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles easy

11 miles easy

17  (August 19)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles easy

12 miles easy

18  (August 26)

1 mile warmup

1 mile intervals

1 mile cooldown

3 miles easy

12.5 miles easy

19  (Sept 2)

3 miles with stroller

3 miles easy

10 miles easy

20  (Sept 9)

Pre-Race week

3 miles medium

Walk a few miles

13.1 Miles

First Half Marathon, Sept 14th

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• desertfox2012 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 2, 2012

First off, congrats on making the decision to run a HM! Having just completed my first, I can tell you that it's an amazing feeling to complete one, and the training is a great journey where you learn a lot about yourself.

Secondly, I totally understand the difficulty with running when you have kids (I have 2 as well, ages 2.5 and 14 months, pretty crazy huh?), so trying to get out can be tough. I've been lucky that I have a wonderful wife who will watch them some of the times when I go run, or I will run very late at night after everyone goes to bed (not easy either). I'm still able to get in 4 runs a week plus a cross training day, so it can be done.

Looking over your training plan, I would only tweak it a little bit. As you get closer to race week, I would begin to make those 3 mile runs 4 or 5 mile runs, as you will need to build some mileage to get your legs used to running a little bit more a week. At my peak, I was running close to 30 miles per week, but if you can only run 3 days a week, anywhere around 20 is still good. That's good to have an interval run, and I would even suggest sneaking in a cross training day (i.e. biking, roller blading, yoga, etc.) if you can. As far as long runs, I did what you plan to do which is to run each mileage for 2 weeks. This helps build your base at a slower pace, which I think helps your confidence. In week 19 I would lower your last long run down to 6-8 miles instead of 10, but it's really up to you and how your feeling.

Other than that, good luck and let us know how you do!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points