Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

454 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2013 10:54 AM by mleonards
mleonards Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Upper thigh pain

Hello everyone!

I hope you can have some insight

I just finished a half marathon on 4/20. I did well and had a blast! 2 weeks before my half, I woke up one day and noticed that my left upper thigh area hurt when I walked forward or brought my knee up towards my chest. It didn't hurt when running so I finished my training, adding in foam rolling and some advil. Did my race last weekend.

Post-race I really felt pretty good. Normal tightness and overall leg soreness that has since gone away (Was completely gone 2 days after race)

However, that left thigh area is still nagging me. Again, I notice it sometimes when walking forward or up stairs and whenever I pull my knee up towards my chest. The groin area doesn't hurt, or hip, just the upper thigh towards the inside== but I have wondered if it is my hip flexor. This same side of my body has had IT band issues in the past (but my IT band has been golden for the past 2 years).

Anyway, looking for some guidance. Since the race I have been taking it easy. Just went for a swim yesterday (swam freestyle only) and have done some yoga.

The are doesn't hurt worse or less, pretty much the same.

Hip flexor strain? Quad strain? Should I make an appt with a sports medicine doc? What about a sports chiropractor ?

Thanks again for all of your advice! I am going nuts not running and it's only been a few days. ARGH!

Mandy

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 26, 2013 3:31 PM (in response to mleonards)
    Upper thigh pain

Congrats on enjoying the half.  Well done finishing in style.

General treatment is rest and ice for muscle issues.  I'd keep treating it as you are and add a few sessions with an ice pack for a week or so.  If it doesn't get better it might be worth getting it looked at.  I'm treating my over-use injury right now that way and it's slowly improving.  Just don't get too worried about it yet.  A half can take a few weeks to recover from so patience is important right now.

Andy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...