Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

377 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 4:23 PM by lenzlaw
CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
Jul 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 27, 2013 2:26 PM

Back spasms

A couple weeks ago, at about the 4 mile mark on a run, my back started hurting really bad.  Felt like a sharp, stabbing feeling in the middle (not lower where I've had a herniated disc in the past) back.  It got to the point where it was hurting even just taking a breath.  Seemed like the pain wrapped from my back around my ribs to the front.  Anyway, about a week and a half later, I felt back to normal and was itching to get running again after being "off" for so long and was feeling great until about the 2 mile mark.  This time, the pain was so intense I couldn't take a single step and has to wait a few minutes until the pain subsided.  Eventually, I was able to slowly jog the rest of the way.  This time, the initial pain was greater, but I felt normal faster too.  Now, I am a little gun shy about going out again.  I am thinking this is a muscle thing since it doesn't feel like my herniated disc did, and the pain wrapped around to the front of my ribcage.  Are these just spasms?  Can my firm have changed without my knowing it?  I've been running for a year now.  Can it be my shoes?  I have about 400 miles on them.  Our maybe it was the yard work I did before the first attack.  Anyone have something similar happen?  How much time did you give it?  Thanks, just curious about what my fellow runners think.  Thanks!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...