Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

308 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 3, 2013 9:42 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT
adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
Apr 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2013 5:18 PM

Running Health- Avoiding Injury

Stumbled upon this day- definietly going to talk to my doctor about what I can be doing as a beginer to avoid injury!

Los Angeles, CA – 05/02/2013 – Competitiverunning is a physically demanding sport. That alone makes participants easytargets for injury. To make matters worse, those same tendencies often make peopledisregard early warning signs or draw people toward cult-like fads that promiseimmediate health for all.

What runners actually need is a holisticapproach to understanding health and chance of injury. Increasing health, willreduce risk of injury significantly. There is a lot more to running than justfinding the right shoe, although that is very important as well.

"You always hear people say that runninginjuries are caused by running," says Peter Larson, author of TreadLightly and a professor of biology and exercise science at Saint AnselmCollege. "That's true, but I don't think it's very helpful. Runners run.We need to figure out how we can run and minimize our injury risk."

Message was edited by: Leonard Herring

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 3, 2013 9:42 AM (in response to adamheimann)

Agreed. There is a lot more to successful athletic activity than any one fad. There is also a lot less physical difference between the chronically pain-challenged weekend athlete, and the superstar. It's about tweaking many seemingly small things to produce a finely balanced and self-healing physical machine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...