Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

416 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 2, 2013 5:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS
xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
Dec 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2013 5:09 PM

Do supplements work for knee's?

I'm 57 and have a history of running.  I currently run 15 to 25 mpw.  I cut back on mileage due to my knee's getting sore from time to time.  When I run on slanted surfaces or to much hill running this wacks out my knees and they become sore for a few weeks and then there okay.  I know I have little cartilige in my knee's due to running.  And, I have had meniscus and LCL problems in the past.  All taken care of back then and running continued.  I was wondering if any runners out there use supplements for their knee's and do they work/help?  If so, what do you take?

"Peace" Long May You Run

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 2, 2013 5:32 PM (in response to xc29min)
    Do supplements work for knee's?

I have used glucosamine for a number of years and I don't think it makes much, if any, difference (I'm 65). Running on slanted surfaces, or uphill/downhill are relatively commonly associated with knee soreness. Strengthening the muscles around the knee and throughout the leg can help.  It's pretty well established that running, in and of itself, does not cause cartilage deterioration. Most problems result from traumatic injury to the knee. After recovery from a traumatic injury, running must be approached with more caution as further deterioration may result.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...