Skip navigation

1043 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 5:06 PM by 23AllDayEveryDay RSS
23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
Aug 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 12, 2013 5:31 PM

PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE

So I recently switched AAU teams to this team with a bunch of my friends.

They are not that good, it is there first year playing AAU after moving up from travel team level.

I fear that I am progressing backwards playing with them because they practice and play at

such a slower speed than AAU and I am slipping into it too. This is my 3rd year playing AAU

and my first year starting, so I am ready to make a huge impact. How to I seperate myself from them,

play fast and play up to my ability rather than down to theirs, and become, I guess you could say,

a "Great player on a bad team"???

PLEASE RESPOND

• Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    1. May 15, 2013 5:53 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

That's tough man. I know what it's like being brought under your level of play. The only thing I can really tell you is to be a champion. When you go to practice and the others are going through the motions, make sure you are working your butt off. Don't waste any opprotunity to show them how a champion trains. At the same time though help them out. Give them tips and tell them what they need to improve on so they can become better players and you'll be a great playeron a great team. One more thing, if you want to seperate yourself from them, do something to seperate yourself. Drop 30pts, get that Triple Double, break ankles like no tomorrow. Stepback 3 in your face? I think so!  Keep your confidence up and play the way you know you can. Good luck buddy.

• bballdad74 Amateur 6 posts since
    Mar 11, 2013
    2. May 16, 2013 3:42 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

Be careful. What you don't want to do is look like you're just out there trying to get your numbers in spite of your team. Coaches and scouts may view you as selfish. Your best bet is to play this season out and look for a new team next year. It sounds like even if your friends get better, you are still to have a problem with the style of play. Try to find a team that you can get the playing time you need, while playing the style you want. Your friends should be cool with that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...