Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1553 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 8:38 AM by oldguyNC RSS
oldguyNC Rookie 5 posts since
May 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2013 6:13 AM

Running my first in October

I am planning on running my first full marathon in Geensboro, NC in October, but I am not really a rookie runner.  I have been out of the sport for 25 years, but am getting back into it in 2013.  So far this year I have a 5K PR of :25.29 and a 1:58 half time.  I currently run 30 - 35 miles per week.  I have another 5K next weekend, which I expect to get to 22 minutes, then nothing scheduled until the marathon at the end of October.

I'm trying to figure out where do I fit into some of the available "first timer" training programs.  MarathonRookie, Hal Higdon, Cool Running, etc... all recommend starting 16 - 18 weeks out with 15 - 20 mile weeks, but that seems like a significant step in the wrong direction.  My long runs right now are 12 -13 miles, and I can definitely say that I am out of gas.  If I'm not at the wall, I'm nestled up against it really close.  I'm definitely running too fast during these runs, although this past Saturday I did run 12 miles negative and didn't hit a wall, so that's positive.

I have about 30 days before an 18-week window for a training program would start.  Right now I'm simply trying to build miles.  I want to get up to 40-ish mile weeks (Sun - Rest, Mon 5, Tues 7, Wed Rest, Thurs 8, Fri 5,  Sat 15, this week's plan) before moving into a training program.  My last four weeks have been 34, 36, 26 (really beat - needed the rest, but I had a successful long run) then this week at 40.  I have the next 4 weeks roughed in at 30, 35, 40, 35

Is this the right approach?  Should I look at a shorter training program (with more focus on speed and strength, say) on my mileage base?  Or should I back off miles and work through the shorter weeks that intro / rookie programs recommend?  If so, what should I focus on during those?

Any help or direction would be gratefully appreciated.

Alan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 23, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to oldguyNC)

Realistically, you're a newbie, and you fit quite nicely in the too much, too fast, too soon category.  Going from zero to 34/36 mpw in 4 months is a very rapid progression.  But, work with where you are at. Even though you don't have marathon experience, you probably could easily fit into (for example) the Higdon Intermediate plans or even the Advanced-1 plan. Keep in mind that these plans are guidelines and don't need to be followed to the letter. Adapt the schedule to what you are doing now and use it to plan your marathon buildup. With your current weekly mileage, it seems the main thing you lack is distance. The Intermediate-1 plan hits 30 mpw with a 12 mile long run in week 5 and might be a good starting point. Starting there would give you a couple extra weeks to spread out your long runs and allow for any (hopefully temporary) setbacks.  Remember that long runs should be done about 45 to 90 seconds per mile slower than anticipated marathon pace.  The plans includes "pace" runs which should be done at marathon pace.  (An alternative is to run the last, say, 4 miles of a long run at marathon pace.  That would probably be better saved until you have more distance on your long runs.)  Do you do any sort of speed work: intervals, hills, tempo runs?  If so, you might want to look at the Advanced 1 plan to see how he includes that.  If not, you may be better off not starting it now.

Good luck and have fun.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 24, 2013 10:07 AM (in response to oldguyNC)

Just remember overuse injuries come on fast.  One day nothing and the next a issue.  18 weeks is a long time and lots of good and bad can happen, be wise!

We all think we listen to our bodies, I am great at telling people to and don't!

Jan 18, 2008
    4. May 24, 2013 10:51 AM (in response to oldguyNC)
    Re: Running my first in October

I don't think you need to cut your weekly miles much if at all, except as dictated by how you're feeling. I would suggest at most do two hard days a week (tempo/hills/intervals) and one pace day. The biggest problem I see with what you're doing now is not enough recovery.  Unfortunately, you're not college age any more and your body needs more time to recover from those hard/long days. If you're going to run the day before your long run it is best to be an easy or a pace day.  In any case, not a hard day.

Use the time between now and the start of the plan to get your base better established.  Maybe take a step-back week of 25-28 miles, then resume in the neighborhood of 35, just giving your body extra time to adapt.  Higdon's Advanced-1 schedule starts at about 30 miles but can easily be adapted.  It looks like you take Weds. off, so you could juggle his schedule something like this.

Mon: Hills, total 5 m

Tues: Easy, 4 to 7 m

Weds: Off

Thurs: 5 - 7 m pace

Fri: 5 easy

Sat: 10

So you're using his schedule as an outline, but plugging in the workouts in the order you prefer doing them.  And continue to pay a lot of attention to how you're feeling. Don't hesitate to take a couple days off if you're feeling beat. You'll come back stronger for it.  And you really won't miss the miles over the course of your marathon training.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    5. May 25, 2013 9:52 AM (in response to oldguyNC)

Forgot to mention, if you're losing toenails, you need to go up a half or a full size in your shoes. A good rule is, when standing in your shoes, you should have a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    7. May 28, 2013 6:58 AM (in response to oldguyNC)

Good luck, I find about the mid way to 3/4 way thru your plan your body will be tired and that is when overuse can pop out! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points