Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

429 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 24, 2013 10:09 AM by lenzlaw
AlaskanAssassin55 Rookie 5 posts since
Aug 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2013 11:35 AM

Grade II Ankle Sprain - Recovery?

Hello, all.

This past weekend I was running a rural 10k trail race and suffered my first significant running injury (I've been running races up to half marathon distances for the past year and a half). I hit a pothole and rolled my ankle. I was about a mile away from the finish line and fellow runners (complete strangers, I might add), took turns carrying me to the finish line so I could hobble across and finish the race. Awesome people! A trip to the ER and x-rays revealed I suffered a Grade II ankle sprain. My ankle was wrapped and put in an air splint, and I was given crutches. A couple of days ago, my ankle was was badly bruised, and the bruises even ran up my leg to the bottom of my calf. The swelling has gone down, as has the bruising, although slowly.

Has anyone else suffered the same, or a similar, injury? If so, I was wondering what the recovery timeline was like (how long before you could return to normal activity or running), and any tips for a quick but successful recovery would be much appreciated. Presently I am able to put weight on my injured foot, but only while I have on the splint. Without the splint it is still a bit painful. I have a follow-up with an orthopedic surgeon next week (12 days after the injury).

Thank you!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 24, 2013 10:09 AM (in response to AlaskanAssassin55)
    Grade II Ankle Sprain - Recovery?

The last time I had a bad ankle sprain, the thing that helped the most was PT (physical therapy).  Hopefully your orthopedist with give you a referral.  I delayed seeing a doctor because "I've had ankle sprains before. Just take it easy for a couple weeks and I'll be fine." Except I wasn't fine. It took 4 weeks, 3 sessions per week to really recover. And I did no running that whole time. It's hard but if you shortcut the recovery you may end up with a chronic injury and an ankle that is never quite right. Even after my PT, it was a year before I stopped having some swelling after runs and feeling occasional twinges. (They told me I should expect these things to happen.) Good luck and take your time to recover as completely as you can before resuming running.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...