Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

723 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 7:39 PM by JamieGniadek
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Run or Dye Chicago Reviews

Share your experiences with the Run or Dye Chicago below Back to event details page.

• Delia1974 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 25, 2010
    1. May 25, 2013 2:26 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Run or Dye Chicago Reviews

Worst run I've done. Where do I start? The parking, the insane traffic. We were held in a corral for what seems like forever and I know this can happen, however the MC's usually keep you entertained and make the time go by quickly. The only thing the little kids they had on the mic do was get us to the wave 27 times while the music kept abruptly stopping. Annoyed, we finally began and there we went, running on GRAVEL and I mean huge chunks of rocks flying everywhere. I was afraid to fall and twist an ankle. We had to zip back and forth like the lines at Six Flags. What was that? No mile markers, no water station. The dye station was a bunch of kids throwing dye with their hands and by the time they bent over to get a fistfull of dye, I was to frustrated to want to get colored. It was no 3 miles running through gravel, in a parking lot -- that's for sure. Best part was the group color blast at the end. I couldn't wait to leave. Not doing it again.

• Nurse Kathy D. Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 10, 2008
    2. May 25, 2013 5:13 PM (in response to Guest )

If I could give zero stars I would! This was a horribly organized, dangerous race that was outrageously priced. There were no moderators at the onset to ensure that every runner was a registered, paying customer. So in other words, you can just show up with a white shirt on and get soaked with dye and "enjoy" the same perks as everyone else who paid. Secondly, the course was dangerous. Running took place on a ground up asphalt lot where runners dodged huge chunks of asphalt where ankles got twisted. There was no water available on the course, and the actual run itself clocked in at 2.6 miles on my running GPS. Some so called runners stopped to smoke a cigarette while others just walked and smoked. While we understood there was to be more of an air of fun rather than competitiveness, this was so far removed from being a run, let alone a 5k it was ridiculous. To add insult to injury, we finished the race and then waited one hour in solid non-moving chaos in the parking lot before we were able to safely leave the lot. Save your money, this is a horrible, horrible "race" in more ways than one.

• evenoel11 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2013
    3. May 27, 2013 11:08 AM (in response to Guest )

My Nike+ app read 2.52 miles. Was it a "fun run"? Sure. But was it fun? Not entirely. The dye zones were manned by those who were less enthusiastic about being there. Some zones had run out of dye by the time we had gotten there. After having attended my fair share of races this was disappointing. There was an overwhelming sense of greed once you realized how many people were signed up. After receiving numerous emails about being in the 9 a.m. wave it became clear upon arrival this was a moot point. Check-in was slow moving.  It appeared as though many people could not, or decided just to not, pick up their packets early.  Although, they really aren't true race packets as your bib number isn't attached to you personally because it is not timed.  The swag wasn't that great either; a rubber bracelet, two temporary tattoos and a dye pack in a drawnstring gym bag.  There was a large queue with people just going off in the order of their arrival. If you're looking for a 5k that is a first time event, you haven't trained, and you want to spend a little too much money for the reward then this is for you. But if you are at all serious about doing a 5k that is a test and triumph of your training I would avoid this one.  Like with all things in life, things are what you make them. This summary was my impression of events do with them what you will, but if you're a first time 5ker and runner then find something else that will reflect and embrace all the hard work you invested. 

• JamieGniadek Rookie 1 posts since
    May 17, 2013
    4. May 27, 2013 7:39 PM (in response to Guest )

Totally agree with the previous comments. Very poorly organized. The most insulting thing though is that it was only 2.5 miles. These people shouldnt be advertising this as a 5k.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...