Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8130 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 7:06 PM by Wideguy RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • BrianHaggerty1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 19, 2013 5:42 PM (in response to Runoutoftime)
    Barefoot running

I found that running in Vibram 5 fingers give me all of the benefits of barefoot, with the added assurance associated with a protected foot. 

I've run for ~25 years in traditional running shoes, but after persistent knee and hip pain, I gave barefoot running a try, and now I run pain free, and my times significantly improved. 

Barefoot/or minimalist shoes don't make you "run right" as some people claim, but they do prevent you from doing certain things wrong, and if you are patient about working up the barefoot miles, you are likely to be happy with the change. 

• Randy Townsend Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2012
    16. Jun 20, 2013 9:03 AM (in response to Runoutoftime)
    Re: Barefoot running

My neighbor is an orthopedic surgeon. He tells me the ortho pod community has seen an "explosion" (his word) in the number of broken bones in the feet directly related to barefoot running. Why this is popular I have no idea - running shoes were developed precisely because people who run need support and protection for the feet. If you are serious about doing this, understand what you are exposing yourself to.

• Haselsmasher Legend 506 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    17. Jun 20, 2013 6:18 PM (in response to Randy Townsend)

I haven't taken the time to research data re: the following point - but my observation after years (literally) of being on user forums where barefoot running is discussed - and done a little (not much) myself:  The majority of injuries that come out of barefoot running are a result of incorrect form and trying to get into it too quickly - rather than barefoot itself being the problem.  It would be like trying to bench press 400 lbs on your first day of weight training, tearing a tendon, then blaming weightlifting as being an injury prone activity.

It was thought smoking was good for the throat.  We're finding that sitting in chairs is, almost literally, killing us.  It used to be thought high carb diets were the most healthy and now look at the thinking that is evolving there.

Do I think shoe makers pursued their engineering with the best of intentions?  Of course.  Do I think we need all that crap that the engineered shoes provide?  Absolutely not.  The body can do way more than most of us think it can - and will likely be healthier as a result. 

I developed horrifically bad PF when I was running a lot.  I was using rigid orthotics and motion control shoes at the time.  I now run in minimal shoes.  (Not a ton - but some.)  When I'm at home I'm shoeless 100% of the time - in a home that is 90% hardwood floors.  My feet have never felt stronger or healthier.

Most people are too impatient to pursue barefoot "the right way".  It takes a lot of dedication and it can take a long time.  And the issues that need work may include hips, calves, etc - stuff things might not associate with the feet.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• loislane847 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 21, 2013
    18. Jun 22, 2013 1:31 AM (in response to Runoutoftime)

yeah i have also tried it ...imo its the best way to run.....

Facebook Status

• Cervidae Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 24, 2013
    19. Jun 24, 2013 12:07 PM (in response to Runoutoftime)
    Barefoot running

I run in Vibrams. Prior to getting them I was running in regular shoes and very quickly ended up with an  shin splint that stayed with me for almost three months. However I have had no such problem running 'barefoot'. When I'm running barefoot vs in a shoe I can really tell the difference in not only weight between the shoes but also how much more efficiently my energy is being used. On top of that running barefoot does wonders for the mind, or mine at least. I find myself feeling energized and enlightened when I'm running through the grass and can feel the give of the soil. And my last reason for why barefoot/minimalist running is the best is because I feel that shoes limit the natural movements of the foot which in turn cause other muscles to try and compensate, ruining your natural form.

That being said if you have either a very high arch or a flat foot, you may find barefoot running very uncomfortable or painful. I don't believe that any other alignment issues should stop you from running barefoot (unless your doc says otherwise) because running with a bare/minimalist foot gets everything working the way it should be and you should find any aliments you had previously suddenly righting themselves. I know that's how I feel! Walking in shoes I was experiencing god awful calf pain in one leg and shin pain in the other, in my barefoots I can (could, i've been off for awhile) run 15 minutes easy and not feel a lick of pain.

So in conclusion, barefoot running is win

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    20. Jun 25, 2013 7:38 AM (in response to Cervidae)
    Barefoot running

So far I've done all my running bare foot or in my original, very thin VFF's ( I find even the new Bakilas etc are too thick and allow me to slip back to bad habits.) It seems very telling to me that  nearly everyone you talk to who has actually given Bare foot a shot loves it. And nearly all the naysayers are people who "heard from a  friend who read an article about how dangerous it is." 

And if the evidence to support higher  technology "More supportive" shoes was so overwhelming, then why are Nike, Reeebok, New Balance etc all shifting huge R&D resources to "Minimalist" shoes?  

My opinion is if it interests you, try it. But try it carefully. Don't just chuck your $300 specialty orthotics and bolt out the door expecting to  do the same distance or times.  And if you like it great, and if you go back to your high tech shoes and can run injury free in them, then go for it.  Shoes hurt me. Barefoot doesn't. Your Mileage might vary 

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• SarahPrudhomme0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 26, 2012
    21. Jun 26, 2013 5:54 AM (in response to Runoutoftime)
    Barefoot running

I have been barefoot running for about a year now and I can say that it has helped me tremendously!  I was a cross country runner in middle and high school and then quit running all together in college.  I started back when a friend convinced me to run the Warrior Dash and then Tough Mudder last year.  I must say I don't know how I managed to run before in "regular" tennis shoes.  I was very worried about protecting my feet and was skeptical when I first started and tried a minimalist shoe, but then evenually switched to barefoot.  I do wear Vibram 5 fingers now, especially when I run on rougher trails (I like to run a local mountain to help train) and when I do races just because it's unfamiliar ground.  One of my best friends runs in Invisible Shoes and loves them.

Definitely work a try, especially if you have knee, hip, back or foot/ankle pain when you run!

• Jim Lineberger Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    22. Jul 4, 2013 2:45 PM (in response to SarahPrudhomme0)
    Barefoot running

I have drunk the minimalist poison, and I think anyone who still runs in conventional running shoes is doing themselves a disservice. After 30 years of running in cushioned shoes, I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc (L4 and L5 resting on each other) and was told to never run again. I switched to Vibrams at the recommendation of a friend and have never looked back. It took me over a year to make the transition, but running is a joy again for me. I run alternately in Vibrams and Merrells.

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    23. Jul 4, 2013 7:06 PM (in response to Jim Lineberger)
    Barefoot running

Jim Lineberger wrote:

I have drunk the minimalist poison, and I think anyone who still runs in conventional running shoes is doing themselves a disservice. After 30 years of running in cushioned shoes, I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc (L4 and L5 resting on each other) and was told to never run again. I switched to Vibrams at the recommendation of a friend and have never looked back. It took me over a year to make the transition, but running is a joy again for me. I run alternately in Vibrams and Merrells.

Congrats Jim!  And I wear my Merrell Pure Gloves for daily wear when I can't be barefoot, like work. Aren't they great?

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points