Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

740 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 2:30 PM by lenzlaw RSS
PhilCorbett Rookie 6 posts since
Jun 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2013 9:52 AM

Inner shin discomfort

I have done a lot of searching online for this and have not found an answer.

I don't think I have a shin splints (but I am hoping I do).

My symptom only occurs on my right shin - it is not a consistent pain, rather when I walk I feel a sensation in the upper third of my inner shin that almost is like a little pop. It is right next to the bone, but does not feel like a bone issue. There is a slight bit of pain when it happens, but not crippling. I can alter my step or take shorter steps, and it goes away, but strains other muscles in my leg.

I have been running for a bout 4 months - for the last 2 weekends I have done 10Ks (I have another this weekend I don't want to miss, but fear I might)

I really started to first feel it Tuesday morning (after doing a 7 mile run Monday) - it didn't feel too bad, but I decided to use an elliptical to have less pressure, but I have not run at all the last 2 days (and probably won't today.) I can't completely stay off it, as I live in a city and need to walk as my main means of transportation.

On Tuesday I started elevating it - Wednesday I added icing - Thursday I put it in a sleeve and then used KT Tape last night - today I still have te tape and put the sleeve on too (can you tell I am desperate) - with the tape and sleep the "pop" is muted, but I still can occasionally feel it happen.

I know this is a lot of detail, but I just want this to get better so I can run again.

Any advice?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 7, 2013 11:20 AM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Inner shin discomfort

Shin splints are sometimes described as a slight tearing of the muscle away from it's attachement to the bone.  That could be what is causing the pop and pain.  Other than that the best thing I can tell you is to post in The Med Tent.

Len

• Volcanogod Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    3. Jun 7, 2013 12:38 PM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Inner shin discomfort

I have shin splints and I just kept running on them.  They slowly get better.  I have never felt or heard a popping sound.  I don't think it is shin splints.  Take your two index fingers and firmly press on your shin and run them up and down where your anterior calf meets the bone.  if it is shin splints, you can feel the discomfort move up and down the bone  as you rub.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jun 7, 2013 2:30 PM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Inner shin discomfort

What I thought of when you said "pop" is the feeling you get when a tight tendon rubs over a bony protrusion.  Something like what happens with ITBS.  I just don't know how it would happen in the area you're talking about.  Maybe it originates in the knee and you're feeling it further down your leg??

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points