Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

655 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2013 5:48 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
PhilCorbett Rookie 6 posts since
Jun 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2013 12:15 PM

Shin Pop -  Need Help

I have done a lot of searching online for this and have not found an answer.

I don't think I have a shin splints (but I am hoping I do).

My symptom only occurs on my right shin - it is not a consistent pain, rather when I walk I feel a sensation in the upper third of my inner shin that almost is like a little pop. It is right next to the bone, but does not feel like a bone issue. There is a slight bit of pain when it happens, but not crippling. I can alter my step or take shorter steps, and it goes away, but strains other muscles in my leg.

I have been running for a bout 4 months - for the last 2 weekends I have done 10Ks (I have another this weekend I don't want to miss, but fear I might)

I really started to first feel it Tuesday morning (after doing a 7 mile run Monday) - it didn't feel too bad, but I decided to use an elliptical to have less pressure, but I have not run at all the last 2 days (and probably won't today.) I can't completely stay off it, as I live in a city and need to walk as my main means of transportation.

On Tuesday I started elevating it - Wednesday I added icing - Thursday I put it in a sleeve and then used KT Tape last night - today I still have te tape and put the sleeve on too (can you tell I am desperate) - with the tape and sleep the "pop" is muted, but I still can occasionally feel it happen.

I know this is a lot of detail, but I just want this to get better so I can run again.

Any advice?

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    1. Jun 7, 2013 4:39 PM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Shin Pop - Need Help

The description or episodic pop and location of your symptoms (upper third of lower leg) make think this may be a knee problem.  Is there a history of knee trauma or injury in the past?

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    3. Jun 8, 2013 5:10 AM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Shin Pop - Need Help

Continue your active self managment of conciously taking shorter strides when running and walking.  Shorter steps decrease the rate of impact loading into the knee and shins.  Continue cross training to avoid a flare of knee problems.  Continue to keep you weight under control.  Excess body weight is a major risk factor for the development of osteoarthritis of the knee.  You are doing the correct treatment/managment.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,145 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    5. Jun 8, 2013 5:48 PM (in response to PhilCorbett)
    Shin Pop - Need Help

If your knee issue was in your teens I just wonder if you had undiagnosed Osgood Schlatter's and there are bony fragments in that area causing a problem now that you are very active. Surgery may be the only way out in that case, but a good deal of physical therapy is directed at knee pain resulting from problems with gluteal muscles. Damien can counsel on that. Has your gait been analyzed for excess motion or other faults with an impact on the knee?

Here's an interesting dialog, not too fresh, but relevant to some of the symptoms you report.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points