Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

482 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 6:43 AM by Amanda_Marie RSS
LesterIzaac Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2013 10:44 AM

restarting 42k training after 15 months no run with ITB injury

Hi mates,

Got some issues on restarting my training after more than 1 year with an ITB injure. I´m increasing, km by km, the Pose Running too..after reading and reading a lot of papers and opinions, I´m gradually changing the way I land during running.

I already ran 3 marathons in the past 10 years, just for fun, cause I lik mountain biking too. My last one was in beginning of 2012,and finished on 3h45'. But after that, ITBand installed and I stopped everything till now.

I´m willing to find a training program to restart it all with no rush, to avoid injuries, and to be able to run a marathon by january, in a 3h30' timing, with speed training, interval , long runs, etc.

I can handle a nutritional plan, there´s a gym 1 block from home, and I guess I have   until 6 days/week to train (mixing running, bike and gym), although just +/-1 hour daily.

What would you recommend?Is there any personal actual performance info that might be useful you to know before pointing out the best program in my case?

My very best regards and cool running for all!

Maybe some valuable data:

38yrs, 1,77m tall, 75kg, 16,5% fat

• Amanda_Marie Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

I've also been dealing with an IT Band injury for months, mostly while training for a half marathon.

The best advice I can give is cross train.  My program included three days of running, plus two days of weights, and one day of yoga.  When I was lazy about weights or the yoga, I was more prone to knee issues, when I was good about the cross training, no problem.

I finally saw a PT about the issue.  She gave me some additional exercises, all basically to strengthen and stretch the muscles in my hips and glutes to prevent further problems.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points