Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1460 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 2:23 AM by bishtanoop RSS
GeoffreyZimmerman Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2013 8:38 AM

Foot pain

Hello all.  I'm a runner of moderate experience, and I just started getting in to running longer distances - 6 miles plus. Unfortunately, one of the pains I experience on my longer runs is on the top of my foot, kind of opposite the peak of my arch. It ranges from sharp pain to a dull ache and will set in one or two days after the run lasting for  another day or two. It's something I can run with. I've tried relaxing my shoes around the area to relieve pressure, but this is only somewhat effective. I'm just wondering if it's part of normal aches and pains, or something to be wary of.

• hduris Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012
    1. Jun 12, 2013 9:02 AM (in response to GeoffreyZimmerman)
    Foot pain

I just went thru that for about 3 months.  I got a cortisone shot because my dr thought it was Morton's neuroma, or inflammation causing a pinched nerve in my foot.  It didn't help for long, so I went to a podiatrist who recommended orthopedic inserts in my shoes, low impact exercise, stretching, icing, and Aleve twice a day.  I eventually went to a Hyvee store brand of insert in my running shoe, continued the stretching and icing and the Aleve.  And kept running:)  My podiatrist also recommended not ever ever wearing barefoot or minimal running shoes again, but going with a very supportive running shoe for long distances.  After going thru all that pain, I totally agree with him!

• loislane847 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 21, 2013
    2. Jun 22, 2013 1:10 AM (in response to GeoffreyZimmerman)
    Foot pain

try to relax your foot before running it will help...do some foot exercise before run....or maybe it is because you are doing to much for yourself.....

Facebook Status

• JesseMacRunner Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 3, 2013
    3. Jul 15, 2013 2:26 PM (in response to GeoffreyZimmerman)
    Foot pain

I too deal with this.  For me, it's Morton's neuroma, or inflammation causing a pinched nerve.  It's leveled off now as I've been stretching and rolling on a golf ball daily and doing exercises to strengthen the ball of my foot. I noticed certain running shoes activate it more.  Right now, I know its there but its much better from the stretching, massage, and strengthening of the foot.  Hope this helps!

Coach Jesse

Running Programs

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jul 15, 2013 6:36 PM (in response to GeoffreyZimmerman)
    Re: Foot pain

The confusing part of your post is the pain doesn't set in until a day or so after your run. Which makes it sound more like muscle/tendon, or a bruise, or possibly a pinched nerve. The fact that "relaxing my shoes around the area to relieve pressure" helps would seem to reinforce that idea.  It is possible that it's a stress fracture but I would think that would bother you during your runs.  Going up half to a full size in your shoes may also help relieve it.

Len

• bishtanoop Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 25, 2013
    5. Jul 26, 2013 2:23 AM (in response to GeoffreyZimmerman)
    Foot pain

You need to take some rest and do some exercise . It will be good for you :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points