Skip navigation

1250 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 5:34 PM by Tyson2123
Mykael32 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 20, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2013 8:09 PM

Advice please?

So I just graduated highschool. I was a three year varsity basketball player who was very average my whole career. I'm 17 years old, trying to figure out what i'm going to be doing the next couple years. Basketball is so important in my life. Its one of the few things I'm really passionate about. I also love weightlifting and training in general and its a good thing because if I ever want a chance of playing basketball at a higher level I know i'll need to get bigger, stronger, and quicker. But I was wondering, would it benefit me more to dedicate my time first to getting bigger, stronger, etc. or should I first work on developing my overall game and basketball skills?

• 23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    1. Jun 21, 2013 4:56 PM (in response to Mykael32)
    Advice please?

I would say getting bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, etc. should be focus because you can always latch on to a college team as just an athletic explosive player, who comes in and rebounds, plays D, runs in transition for alley-oops, just makes explosive athletic plays. Then if this gets you onto a team in college or a higher level, then you work on the basketball skills to combine the skills with athleticism to make yourself a great player

• bballdad74 Amateur 6 posts since
    Mar 11, 2013
    2. Jun 21, 2013 5:50 PM (in response to Mykael32)
    Advice please?

Since you've already graduated your main focus should be on getting scouted if you want to continue your career. You need  to look at playing some post graduate basketball, like Impact or ABI.  Hopefully you turn that into at least a  JC scholarship and then on to a four year school.  Also, there are camps for kids like you who've graduated but still need to get a look.  Look into those.  Finally, did you earn good grades in school?  If you graduated with a 3.0 or better you are an ideal recruit to play d3.  Don' t worry about the fact that they don't give athletic scholarships. Basketball combined with good grades and test scores will pretty much pay for school.  It doesn't matter what you work on, without playing in front of scouts and coaches, your playing career is over.

• Tyson2123 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jul 30, 2013
    3. Aug 2, 2013 5:34 PM (in response to Mykael32)
    Advice please?

Mykael, talk to professional players at basketballtrainingclub.com.  You can ask questions there and get expert advice and help from players who have been through it.  I highly recommend it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...