Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

351 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 11:55 AM by Cervidae
Cervidae Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2013 11:55 AM

Running for the Mind

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a 20 year old guy, living in Canada. I started running earlier this year (January) but after getting a rather awful shin splint and having to have (unrelated) surgery my running was put off for several months. I have since recovered (from both the splint as well as surgery) and this morning marked the first day of my new early morning routine. I'm currently weighing about 20 more pounds than I want to weigh (though since I started back in January I've lost 20 pounds, so win, halfway to my goal weight) but that's not the reason behind why I started running. I started running mostly because a) I want to be fit, simple and b) As an individual currently going to school in order to have a job in law enforcment I not only need to be able to run but I also want to be the best I can be so I be of ultimate use when it comes to protecting people.

I'm also running because I love being in nature and i've found barefoot running to be extremely enlightening. I run in vibrams exclusively and love every minute of it. At the moment I'm running a 'course' that takes me about 15 minutes and is only 1k, I can pretty much run the whole way (three short thirty second breathers at certain locations, 3/4 of the route is at a steep incline. Once I can run this route without needing a break I'll expand my 'course'. I feel lucky to live on the edge of the city so I can run along some pleasant country roads. As i start running again I intend to be doing all my runs in the early morning, prior to school/work, as I enjoy the isolation and the fact that the only sounds I can hear are thoseof the birds and frogs. For me running has been enjoyable and has helped me ground myself.

So Day 1 down, lets get on with the rest!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...