Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

914 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 7:20 PM by Woody100 RSS
Woody100 Expert 40 posts since
Nov 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 4, 2013 8:02 PM

knee pain

Hello All,

I have been experiencing some pain in my left knee, the pain is located around the front of the knee.  i am able to walk but i certainly can feel the disconfort. Seems like the pain appears when i spend time sitting (ie. knees bend). I have been appliying  icy hot balm but it is not helping much. This last January i ran my second marathon and i remember had some disconfort on the same knee but i ran the marathon anyway, i ran with a knee brace and that seemed to help. I also ran a half marathon a month later (February) , again with some disconfort and i used the brace again, it helped me finish the race and did not have pain afterwards. After the half i took some time off from running thinking that my knee needed some rest. Time off did not help much as the disconfort was always there, last week i decided to run a 5k and i used the knee brace, i finish the race with no problem (just little rusty) , however the "disconfort" came back, this time with more pain and more often. I am starting to get worried about this , your advise is greatly appreciated. Btw  I do not plan to run any races in the next 2 months or so , i have registered for couple halfs in the fall and for my third marathon in January2014. 

I am 39 yrs old

Cheers

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Jul 14, 2013 3:23 PM (in response to Woody100)
    knee pain

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like runner's knee. Run fewer miles, less intensity, and ice after runs, until someone smarter than me posts.

Good luck.

Robin

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 15, 2013 5:11 AM (in response to Woody100)
    knee pain

It depends to some extent on the exact location of the pain.  If it's generalized and "behind" the kneecap then Robin is likely to be right.  Work on strengthening the muscles of your upper leg, particularly the quads (check here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml#runknee).  Also check your stride, to make sure you are not over-striding and that you're landing with your knees flexed.

If the pain extends toward the lower kneecap and possibly to the upper part of your lower leg, it could be patellar tendinitis.  To quote Haselsmasher in another thread "If it's stiff in the morning as well as after sitting that generally points to tendonitis."  This is probably a little tougher to get rid of.  I'm not sure of the exact treatment but you can start here: http://blip.tv/running-times/patellar-tendinitis-exercises-6284139.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points