Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

784 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 4:42 PM by lenzlaw
jmscsa Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2013 11:44 AM

Switching back and forth between high and low drop?

I've been running in Brooks PureCadence and Newton Distance 4mm drop shoes for most of the last two years. My latest pair of Brooks is about worn out since the cushioning and the soles sure don't last long. I have been looking at getting a pair of Kinvara 4s but was recently loaned a pair of demo Scott T2 Evos to try out this week.

I like the cushioning feel in the Scotts and how it doesn't feel like my legs and knees are aborbing much impact in them but they have 11 mm heel to toe drop and when I try to run faster that big ole heel feels really clunky and hard to run right without landing a little more like a heel striker.

I can see the advantage of having a more cushioned shoe like the Scott for half iron and full iron runs and full marathons and long slow training runs but for anything shorter where I want to go faster it feels like I'd still want more minimalist 4mm drop type shoes like the Kinvara.

I don't know the physiology very well, so does anybody know if using two different types of shoes with two very different angles like that for different distance runs and constantly switching back and forth between a low drop and a higher drop shoe causes any sort of physical problems or injury risks for the foot or the leg. Or has anybody tried this approach for different length runs and found it to work.

• Frerunner Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 12, 2013
    1. Aug 12, 2013 1:16 PM (in response to jmscsa)

I experienced something similar when i was switching back and forth between the VFF Bikila and the Pegasus. It was a 12mm vs a 0 drop shoe. So it was drastic.
    I just couldnt land with the midfoot with the Pegasus as the heel struck first.
    My experience with the Bikila was not good at the moment because i was training too hard and without any planning, and also because i wouldn´t commit into developing a good form from switching back and forth.
    The best ting that happened to me was that the Pegasus got punctured by a big thorn at the trails so i had to stick to vff´s. I bought a 2nd pair Spyridon for trail running and at the same time i switched to a more conservative training plan.
    IMO biting the bullet, easing off the miles and going straight into low drop shoes, minimalistic or however you wanna call them is the best bet. Work on technique the 100up program is a great training tool.
    Eventually you´ll be able to run the whole distance and you won´t look back.
    I can run 9+ miles with either shoe now and i dont experience any pain in my feet, ankles, knees or lower back and i train 40 miles per week.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Aug 12, 2013 4:42 PM (in response to jmscsa)

I have been switching for quite some time between a couple of "traditional" shoes and some low drop shoes - Saucony Kinvara 2 and 3 and Mirage 2 - all 4mm drop.  I haven't encountered any problems and as long as you're used to the lower drop from the Brooks and the Newtons the only question is the cushioning.  The Kinvaras have a pretty good cusion in my opinion, given the relatively low heel.  And I'm a heel striker.  They should be comparable to the Brooks you have.  The Mirage was better, even with the same 4mm drop.  I think they have a slightly thicker sole overall, giving them better cusioning than the Kinvara.  But I wore out the Mirage too fast, much faster than the Kinvaras, not sure why.  You should find the Kinvara or the Miage good, particularly if you're not a heel striker.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points