Skip navigation

142 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 9:47 AM by PC Mountain RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2013 9:47 AM

Wheels and Wings IV Reviews

Share your experiences with the Wheels and Wings IV below Back to event details page.

• PC Mountain Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 12, 2013 9:47 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Wheels and Wings IV Reviews

This charity ride is really well run and you get a lot of bang for your buck. The route is nice. It?s a tour of Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte so it?s not going to be all tropical paradise but it?s a nice mix of residential, downtown, beachfront, and park riding. You go over and back on the 41 bridge and you even ride a short stretch of cobbled road which is fun. Most of the roads are quiet, have a bike lane, or a decent shoulder. There?s only a few hairy spots and they are mercifully short. Wheels and Wings also has some other nice features. There?s a 10 mile gentlemen?s race. The riders interested in this race start the ride first and then race for 10 miles. It?s on the honor system and it?s all in good fun. There is also a ?time trial? where you race solo against a policeman?s radar gun. If you get over 25 mph he writes you a warning ticket. The swag bag is great. We got a t-shirt with a cool design, a cowbell, a water bottle, and other items. Best of all, everyone was guaranteed wings and beer after the ride. The organizers smartly set up the food and drink with a ticket system so that everyone gets their wings and beer. I?ve done many rides where it?s a buffet table and the riders doing shorter distances have eaten all the food by the time I got to the finish line. Of course friendly people abounded and the two SAGS were well run and stocked (Clif bars and watermelon!). I will now do this ride every year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...