Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1152 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2013 9:04 AM by JesseMacRunner RSS
JesseMacRunner Amateur 18 posts since
Jul 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2013 2:20 PM

Achilles Tendonitis

I ran 12 miles yesterday as I'm training for a marathon.

I believe I'm suffering from achilles tendonitis. 
Anybody in this forum have advice on how to deal with it minus the obvious (rest, ice, massage, light stretching, etc)?

I'm training for a marathon, so I'll taper my training to help heal this injury, I'm curious if anybody has tried compression socks or anything that might help during my runs.

Thanks in advance!

Coach Jesse

Running Programs

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jul 15, 2013 5:02 PM (in response to JesseMacRunner)
    Achilles Tendonitis

Foam roller.  Foam roller.  Foam roller.  Make it your friend.  Stay off the tendon itself.  But use it to loosen the calves. 

You said lite stretching - and my $.02 is to do it extremely litely  - if at all.  It can aggravate the tendon.  I think the foam roller is much more effective at loosening things up and doesn't aggravate the tendon.

You can also use a rolling pin on your calves.  Much more painful (typically) but really really effective.

Eccentric heel drops can also really help - but be very careful doing these when not under the supervision of a PT.  Doing them when the tendon isn't ready can make matters worse.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• justamaniac Pro 136 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Jul 16, 2013 7:44 PM (in response to JesseMacRunner)
    Achilles Tendonitis

I recently yanked my Archilles Tendon and  I can echo Jim's recommendation regarding stretching - don't!  And if you do feel like you need to stretch your it, do it carefully, slowly, and not too much.

After I pulled mine, I laid off running for two days, and then did a light run on day 3, icing it immediately after. It has felt good enough to run on, although tight at the onset of each run.  it always seems to loosen up within the first half mile and I'm able to get my runs in, including long runs in (I did a 14miler this weekend). I ice it after every run and after long walks.

It is getting better, but it is still tight (it's been 3 weeks since I pulled it), and so I am very careful with it.  I'm training for a marathon myself, and I don't want any debilitating injury!

Good luck,

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...