Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2002 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 6, 2013 12:58 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT
kq702 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 16, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2013 8:34 PM

question about foot pain after walking - should I walk less or just deal with it?

Hi, I am a male, 29 years old and prob about 190 lbs. I am 6'1" and decided to start using the treadmill to chop down a few pounds. I used the treadmill in the past but it never worked because I would always try to run X amount of miles, and it seemed like it was taking forever. so I only did it that one day and ended up giving up.

But I saw an article the other day and it gave me motivation to try again. It said to just do it for 1 hour, no matter if I walk or run. It doesn’t matter how many miles I go- it was only important to do it for an hour. So I did it yesterday and it went unexpectedly good. I didn’t run at all but I walked about 3.5 - 4 MPH for 1 hour (I did it in two cycles).

The only thing I noticed when I was finished was the ball in my foot (right before my toes) felt pain, from a scale of 1-10 (1 being minimal pain) I would rate it at a 3.

I went to bed and woke up and it hurt me more today, it was around a 4 or 5 with each step I took. But after my shower it went down a bit and I didnt notice it as much as the day went on. Now I can barley feel the pain, although when I press my foot on the ground firmly  I can feel the pain start to come back.

So I was wondering should I continue to walk on the treadmill (not run) till it feels better? or should I just do the exercise for a lower amount of time till it doesnt hurt as much? Or should I just ignore it and walk / run 1 hour and maybe eventually it will stop hurting from building up muscle?

I injured that part of my foot about a month ago, I was walking down the stairs in the dark and expected to take another step but I was already on the floor level so I ended up digging my foot into the floor and I hurt that area of my foot. That is the same area that I am experiencing pain with after walking. Any advise?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

To answer your questions in reverse order, it appears the month-old injury has not yet healed, or healed badly. There may be a rehab strategy for this, but I definitely would not ignore it. Cutting your mileage until exercise gets easier and less painful sounds like a reasonable strategy, but walking until the pain goes away is not. Pain often disappears temporarily during exercise due to numbness and endorphins, allowing damage to continue. My advice is to look for a better shoe or surface to work out on, something more forgiving than whatever you are using.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points