Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

827 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2013 3:04 PM by Hugs4Mugs RSS
proximo1104 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2013 5:10 AM

Couch to 5K

Hi all, I have decided to "active" again.  On November 26, 2012 was at my doctor and at that point I weighed 276 lbs.  I was on two blood pressure medications, lazy, and completely unmotivated.  I used to be a decent athlete in high school and thin.  In Feburary i said enough is enough and got serious about lose weight and getting the "old me back".  I started to diet nothing in particular just eating healthy, portion control, and primarly drinking water. Since then I have lost 56.4 lbs.

I'm 38 years old and have a wife and 2 children who are 10, and 6.  Getting fit is about doing for myself but using my family as motivation so I can be around for them as long as God let's me.  Just recently I started th couch to 5k plan on my smartphone, and have liked it so far.  I'm on week 4 and avg around 10:45 when I run during my workouts of running/walking.  Walking pace is around 14:20 each workout.  I have no idea if this good, bad or whatever.  I have also seem to hit a wall in my wieght loss even with increased excersie and I'm starting to get really discourage.  As an incentive my Dad is going to give me some money when I reach 200 lbs, which I would like to achieve by November.  I would love to hear from anyone doing the couch to 5k program, or anyone that have some tips on how to break through this wall I have hit.  Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all.

p.s if there is anyone that wants to be a weight loss buddy hit me up. 

• GJorgenson Amateur 18 posts since
    May 1, 2012
    1. Jul 19, 2013 6:21 AM (in response to proximo1104)
    Couch to 5K

proximo1104 - first of all congrats on be motivated enough to become active again and a huge congrats on all of the weight you have lost already.  I just finished week 2 of the C25K program, so you are a ways ahead of me.  I don't know that I will be much help with the weight loss - continue to watch what you eat, the portions, etc.  I don't think it is uncommon to hit plateaus in weight loss or fitness for that matter.  It seems like the initial pounds drop faster and you see more improvement in your fitness when you first begin, then things kind of level off.  As far as your paces for the program...it sounds like you are doing great, however, don't get too set on those numbers!  I know, I know - I always look at them too and you can, but really at this point just make it a point to finish the workouts and most importantly, have fun!  Pace, speed, endurance - those will all increase with time.  Let this program help you build a solid base, at a pace that will hopefully keep you injury free, so that when you are finished with the program, you are still healthy enough to work on those other things!

I think you are doing great!  Stick with it and how you have been eating and I have no doubt that you will see continued weight loss - albeit probably at a slower pace...

Keep on running!

Gary

• Hugs4Mugs Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 16, 2013
    2. Jul 20, 2013 3:04 PM (in response to proximo1104)
    Couch to 5K

Congrats Proximo. If I may ask, how have you modifed your diet. If you are in a plateau are you consuming what you are burning? My fitness pal has a great way to track your caloric intake. A lot of people have had sucess. I use Weight Watchers and have lost 58 pounds since January.  I am a 42 yo female. The running has certainly helped me lose weight and I think diet is equally if not more important.  Best of luck and keep on running :-D

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...