Skip navigation

322 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 5:00 PM by TheLMH RSS
VagrantProfile Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2013 9:20 AM

Need some nutritional advice for long endurance ride....

Hey Gang,

I'm doing a 135 mile ride from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in a couple months.  I've done it before but not as well as I'd have liked.  Last year I had a DNF due to lack of caloric intake (I bonked severely on the final climb....nearly passed out.)

I just don't think my nutritional plan is solid.  I rode mostly on gatorade and clif bars.....but about halfway through the ride I just can't stomach much more (food disgusts me about 5 hours into the ride) and so I just kind of stop eating which I know is SEVERELY detrimental.

I'd love to get some advice from hardcore endurance athletes as to what I can do to keep myself fueled and performing my absolute best throughout what will be between a 10 - 12 hour effort.  Any tips are greatly appreciated.

• TheLMH Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2013

I've used and like "SuperStarch" from Generation UCAN.  (Search on the web and buy online.)  It lets you get carbs that are very slow release that doesn't spike your insulin level and lets you burn fat for fuel as you are also burning the superstarch especially when your exertion level is above the aerobic threshold.  It's also not hypertonic as with most other energy sources so it allows you to keep using it (they recommend every 3 hours during an event) without causing digestive distress.

In general, I've been on a ketogenic diet for over a year and can readily burn fat anyway -- this has greatly improved my health and got me back into cycling after 14 years of not having the energy.  I haven't done anything like you've done or are doing, but am back up to half centuries and centuries in TN  (i.e., = hills)  The SuperStarch helps me when climbing and get out of the aerobic zone and can no longer burn fat.

Good Luck on the ride!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...