Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

54408 Views 97 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 PM by Mikey A RSS 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
Mikey A Expert 46 posts since
Jul 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2013 5:30 PM

"Tired Heavy Legs"

So, this is my first time attempting to run any kind of distance I am a 50+ yo healthy male who has never enjoyed running long distance, I am an avid walker with a 14 min mile pace and just recently began to run a full mile without walking, (I have never been able to run even 1 full mile without slowing to a walk to stop cramping or shortness of breath).  The toughest part is that my legs feel tired and heavy quickly upon starting and then it messes with my breathing, I just started to listen to music while running and that really seems to help (I guess it distracts me from thinking about my legs and breathing).  I have decided to train for a 5K race set in October and plan to train using the couch to 5k program.  Any advise on how to keep my legs feeling fresh would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

• Loreen79 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2011
    1. Jul 24, 2013 11:27 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

I'm amased because despite the fact that you are 50+ but still able to run. I can only advice you to do basic stretching before starting to run. Then, you also mentioned listening to music while you are running help you somehow. It is because your mind is focus on music and not on worrying that your legs might get tired. Its mind over body. Try not to worry about your leg when you are running.

• justamaniac Pro 180 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Jul 25, 2013 12:20 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

I started running at 52, so I am very empathetic and like you, I found it very difficult.  I couldn't run 1/4 mile with out running out of breath, that's how badly out of condition I was.

So what I did was set up a series of goals and steps, starting with running to a certain point, like a power pole or fire hydrant, then walking for a bit, and then running again to another marker, and so on.  On subsequent runs, my goal was to run a little bit further each time, even it was just 10 or 20 feet.  I started out with a mile and a half loop near my house and then graduated to a 3 mile loop.  It was painfully embarrassing - I sucked at running.  I felt so awkward that whenever I saw a car or another runner/walker coming, I would pull out my phone and pretend to be doing email or something.... 

But the good news is that I got better, and was eventually able to run the entire 3 mile loop.  And approximately 2 years after I started running, I ran my first marathon.  The bottom line is that it is always a series of steps that takes us to our goal. You just have to define what those steps are and be persistent. I will share that I did not consider running a marathon until about 8 months before the event itself. Up to that point, all I was trying to do was improve my cardio/vascular health and burn off a few pounds.

Keep it up - if you need encouragement, just post that you need some and you will get it!

best of luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 25, 2013 6:20 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Unfortunately, walking and running are different exercises, and one doesn't really prepare you for the other.   Basically, your legs aren't used to running.  Doing a program like C25K will give them time to adapt and work up to running a mile or more without stopping.  Something like justamaniac did using his own plan.  Stretching before your exercise is probably not a good idea, but a dynamic warmup may have your legs more prepared before you start your run.  Check this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jul 25, 2013 7:30 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Ice, if anything, for the first 24 hours.  You might be better off using a foam roller or something like "the stick" or maybe massage it with your fingers.  Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WErpKRJFQ3A

Len

• GaryBrauchla Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 26, 2013
    7. Jul 31, 2013 8:33 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

It seems like I have exactly the same problem, tired heavy legs!  I'm 68 and  have never been are real runner, more of a short distance type, last September, I went into cardiac arrest and died, my wife did CPR and kept me alive until EMT's shocked me.  After recovering, I started Cardiac Rehab and through their assistance, I began running and getting back into shape.  They gave me so much support that I decided to do the unheard of, after eight months I enter the Tucson Medical Center (TMC) Meet Me Downtown 5 K Run on June 1.  Didn't win, came in around 1200th out of 2500, but I finished.  My problem is like yours, can do okay for the first mile then its running and walking the rest of the way.  Stamina didn't seem to be a problem, never get exhausted.  Still have the same problem, seems like my legs feel like lead weights.  Am signed up for another 5 K in October and would like to at least jog or run the whole way.

• SolanaCooper Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 2, 2012
    8. Jul 31, 2013 3:49 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

two words...

strength training!

I am a 55 yo female and I had the same problem when I started but strength training has helped me sooo much!

I do squats and lunges plus other excercises on my off run days. Don't try to do strength training on run days you won't have the energy to do your run.

Good Luck!

Solana

• db_woodall Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    9. Aug 8, 2013 5:07 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Have you considered Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk/Run program?  I'm 54 and have run several marathons and half marathons in the past 3 years using it.  The idea is that you take periodic walk breaks that conserve your strength from the beginning of the run to the end.  The beauty of it is that you can actually run faster (when you are running) and have an overall faster pace than you would otherwise. I did the Rock 'n Roll Half here in Dallas this year using a 3:1, and finished in a little over 2 hours.  If you're an older runner, it also has the benefit of putting less stress on your cardiac system.

Galloway also has a book "Running until your 100", which has lots of good advice.

Lenzlaw is absolutely right, don't stretch prior to running, but warmup for 5-10 minutes and do things like squats, lunges and leg lifts.

-dave

• Janet99807 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    11. Aug 13, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Wear spandex tights that support your legs all the way to your ankles or wear support hose.

MN Janet

Jan 18, 2008
    13. Aug 13, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

One thing you should do on a track, if you can, is switch directions periodically (every couple laps) so you're not always turning left.  Not sure if this will help the funny felling in your knee.  On the other hand, the 2 sets of bleachers (I assume you mean steps) are probably giving your knees quite a workout, and could be the reason for the feeling.

Len

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...