Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

435 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 7:38 PM by lenzlaw
jlo7307 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2013 12:43 PM

5K to 10K App

Hi all, I'm new to running and recently followed the Couch to 5K training program and have started doing the 5K-to-10K app. The 10K training app is uses the term "tempo run" could someone explain what that means? I tried googling it, but the definition I found didn't make much sense. Also, this app differentiates between Steady Run and Jog. What is the difference between those two?

Thanks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 29, 2013 7:38 PM (in response to jlo7307)
    5K to 10K App

I'll try to answer this in an understandable way.  . Tempo pace (also called "lactate threshold" pace) is a fast (race level fast) pace you can hold for about an hour. So a 10K or 10-mile race pace is frequently used (1/2 marathon pace for faster runners). The pace can be figured from other length races (5K or 10K for instance). The McMillan Running Calculator can figure paces for these workouts based on a recent race time.  I find the paces tend to be a little fast.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Make sure you fill in all the fields correctly or the results will leave you scratching your head. Current race distance and time and target race distance and time.  Guess on the target race time if you're not sure what your goal is.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...