Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1204 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 4:23 PM by KMBOhio
BessOll Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 31, 2013 6:52 AM

Trail Running Shoe Suggestions

I am about to start training for my first trail run - 8.9 miles through relatively rough terrain.  I wear minimalist shoes for my road runs.  Any suggestions on what trail run shoes to get?  I'm wondering if I should stick to a minimalist trail run shoe because I have minimalist road run shoes??

• Frerunner Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 12, 2013
    1. Aug 12, 2013 12:55 PM (in response to BessOll)

I really love the Spyridon for running at trails.

I would never risk it to run barefoot in the local trails, they are full of rocks, thorns, ruts, animals, etc. These shoes are the closest to running barefoot.
    I started a thread in the gear forum about my experience with VFF´s and i describe the diference i found between the Bikila the Spiridon and the Seeya.
    From the 3 the Spyridonswork the best at trails they withstand all the abuse you can give them rain or mud, rubbing against rock or ruts.

They are pretty fun in technical terrain as you are very close to the ground and the wide platform on them allows you to get a good grip.

Also the transition period for me was the shortest as in my 1st run in them i could manage to du a 7 mile run or so. With the bikilas it took me a while to get there.

Yesterday i did a 2:30 easy long run with them, and i had a blast.

• KMBOhio Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 8, 2013
    2. Oct 9, 2013 4:23 PM (in response to BessOll)

ASICS has always been my favorite running shoes and they have some great new trail shoes (like 8 different kinds!).  They cover a wide range of gait types and are of course weather resistant with great traction.  The Gel-Fujiracer is their minimalist shoe and it is fast, light and flexible.  I would definitely recommend you check them out.  Check out www.asicsamerica.com or if you're in the Southern California or New York City areas they also have 2 brand new retail stores!  All ASICS all the time!  The one in CA is in the Fashion Island mall, Newport Beach and the one in New York is in the meatpacking district on 14th Street.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points