Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

495 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 5:26 AM by itbeballin87
itbeballin87 Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 4, 2013 6:38 PM

Coming of Illness need Advice? (Whooping Cough)

For about 4 weeks now I have been batteling whooping cough. The first week I spent training normally for cross country. The next 2 of weeks I spent doing nothing and the past week I spent hard core stretching + core + the occasional 15 min run (i ran twice at the bookends of the week). The runs did make me feel slightly worse after and my coughing fits that day seemed worse. I felt a slight chest pain while running though nothing major. I am a pretty decent runner with a 17min 5k and 440 mile. I am wondering if I should start training again or will it make it worse. If so how should i procede training wise?

Happy to provide more details if need be.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 5, 2013 4:59 AM (in response to itbeballin87)
    Coming of Illness need Advice? (Whooping Cough)

Basically, no running, no exercising until you're over the whooping cough. Have you seen a doctor, been diagnosed, and received treatment (antibiotics)?  This isn't something to mess around with. You could also develop pneumonia if it is left untreated.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points