Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

540 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2013 4:12 PM by GeoWolf
GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2013 12:54 PM

Broken Toe

The doctor suggested that Iwait 4 to 6 weeks for it to heal before jogging.  He toldme that if I jogged sooner it likely wouldn't cause permanentdamage but that it would take longer (expect 6 to 8 weeks) to heal.  Rightnow it hurts to much to even consider jogging anyway butI really, really want to get back to C25K.  I wasfeeling so good about it this time and thrilled thatafter a long time off for respiratory problems and then not being able to get backin the rhythm that I was able to start well into the program instead of havingto start over.    Has anyone else had abroken toe?  How did it go?  How about anyone who badly injured theirtoenail?  The whole end of my 4thtoe is in pretty bad shape.  I’m tryingreally hard to stay motivated during this setback so any suggestions for thatwould be awesome.       Thank you.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 13, 2013 5:23 PM (in response to GeoWolf)
    Broken Toe

I encourage you to think beyond immediate goals to a long-term strategy for a life of fitness. Following your doctor's first advice to wait,  is your best chance for leaving this temporary setback behind for good.

While your toe is still going to heal, this is your opportunity to influence how well it heals. In running, little things mean a lot. Extra bone growth at the point of fracture might not mean much to sedentary people unless they are wearing tight shoes, but runners can rub the same spots in their shoes many thousands of times in a single outing.

Make sure you give yourself the best chance of pain-free running in the near term and years from now, by holding back for a couple months. You can probably pick up some non-impact cross-training skills during this time. That will pay off way better than rushing your recovery. I know runners in their 80s who still compete, and there are some out there in their 90s and 100s doing it. That may not sound like fun to most of us, but for them it means as much as that first 5k means to you. When faced with injuries, it is always best to play it safe. Keep that dream alive as long as you can, and save the hurry for racing.

Good luck, and many years of happy trails to you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...