Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

603 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 7:19 PM by shipo RSS
HomerJay20 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2013 6:59 AM

Running Half Marathon - forecast is for 80 degrees hot and humid

I'm running the River Run Half Marathon near Cleveland, OH next Sunday and they are predicting the weather to be in the 80's hot and humid.  I've been doing my long runs at the crack of dawn before heat can be an issue and a week out I fear my conditioning is inadequate for the predicted climate.  What are the best things I can do in this last week to prepare?  I don't have any more hard runs planned and I usually hydrate and rest the day prior.  I could do light stretches in the sauna this week - would that help at all?  Is there a diet I could keep to this week that might help? 

I'm pretty concerned about race day so any advice is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Looks like the race starts at 8 AM.  What will the temp be then?  Looking at weather.com, they're predicting a low of 58 and a high of 76 for Cleveland on Sunday.  Not ideal, but better than in the 80s.  About the only thing you can do is run in warmer temps to help your body adapt.  This is limited though, since you only have a few days.  Make sure you're well hydrated, 24X7 (pale yellow urine).  I think you'll be OK, but slow down if you feel the heat getting to you.

Len

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

I was in the same boat Saturday; I ran a very hilly 10-miler and by the 9:00 AM start time it was predicted to already be in the very high 70s (it was) and in the 70% humidity range (it may have been even higher humidiity than what was predicted as the starting area was slippery with the sweat of the runners).  As Len suggested, pre-hydrate; I drank a lot of water the night before and then got up five hours before race time, ate a couple of eggs, and drank a liter and a half of water before going back to bed for a couple of hours.  Two hours before race time I drank another liter of water and called it quits on the hydration thing until the first water stop (at the 2-mile mark).  My plan worked perfectly; by the 4th water stop (at the 8-mile mark) the temperature had climbed into the low 80s and yet I was feeling good and could still feel some water in my stomach so I skipped that last water stop and was still feeling good when I crossed the finish liine.  Errr, "good" is a relative term, I pretty much left it all out on the course, but at least I wasn't dehydrated. 

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

I usually stop 2 hours before the race, but mostly because of porta-potti lines.  At a race earlier this year I had it timed perfectly.  Got into the line, did my business and got to my start corral with about 10 minute to spare (it was a big race).  Unfortunately, it took them almost 30 minutes to get our corral moving, and I had to stop on the course!

BTW, water passes through your stomach in about 15 minutes, and on to the intestines, where it's usually less noticable.

Len

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

lenzlaw wrote:

I usually stop 2 hours before the race, but mostly because of porta-potti lines.

Yup, exactly why I stop two hours before gun time as well; Saturday morning I had five minutes to spare before the gun went off. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points