Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

715 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2013 12:09 PM by JessicaB22
JessicaB22 Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2013 7:42 AM

Heart rate training troubles

Hi, I've been running off and on for about a year now.  I've always been slow and I thought this might be because I wasn't training correctly for me.  I bought a heart rate monitor and have been trying to follow the recreational runner program in the book Heart Rate Training by Benson and Connolly.  I can't seem to progress beyond the intitial stage of Level 1: Jogging to Build Endurance because I can't seem to keep my heart rate under 75% without frequent walk breaks.  I've been running 3-4 days a week for about 3 months now and I definately walk less now than at the begining of the summer, it just seems that it's taking too long and I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,411 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 14, 2013 12:50 PM (in response to JessicaB22)
    Heart rate training troubles

Have you done any testing to find your maximum heart rate (MHR)?  You cannot reliably use a heart rate monitor without knowing (or having a close approximation of) your MHR.  The formulas simply are not accurate for a large percentage of the population.  So you may be trying to adhere to the wrong numbers.  The following article lists several ways to approximate your MHR.

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

Besides that, if you've been running "off and on", your progress will not be fast.  You're probably not doing anything wrong besides having high expectations, or perhaps not knowing what your expectations should be. 

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...