Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

975 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 7:50 AM by GabiA
GabiA Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 18, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2013 3:39 AM

Ideal heart rate zone for the half-marathon

I'm running my first marathon at the end of October, and my first half-marathon this Saturday. I've done the VO2 max testing the other week and was told that in order to complete the marathon, I need to stay in my Moderate heart rate zone, which for me is between 139-155 bpm. That's fine. My question is, does the same principle apply for the half-marathon? Can I go on the higher heart rate, and if so, when in the race? I would appreciate any advice from experienced runners.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 19, 2013 6:19 AM (in response to GabiA)

You can go higher the last 5K  and I would be fine around 160 for the entire race.  The biggest problem during the marathon is you are going to burn thru your glycogen to fast if your run at a higher HR also you will most likely be running to fast which is the biggest mistake you can make in a full.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 19, 2013 8:32 AM (in response to GabiA)

If you are well trained, you should theoretically be able to do the half near your lactate threshold pace (tempo run pace).  Since this is your first, you might want to be more conservative.  So, as BOSNPM said, the high end of your moderate zone would probably work well, maybe pushing a little higher the last few miles.  As you gain experience (and miles under your feet), you may find yourself able to sustain a higher heart rate / pace.

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Sep 20, 2013 5:31 AM (in response to GabiA)

Lactate threshold is usually right around anaerobic threshold, though not necessarily exactly the same (LT might be slightly lower).  But your heart rate will vary somewhat depending on whether you're running 1:30, 1:45, 2:00, etc., being probably a little lower for the slower paces, simply because you'll be out there longer.

Len

• Jay-N Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2013
    5. Sep 20, 2013 6:28 AM (in response to GabiA)

I am male, 33 years old. I ran my half marathon record with averarage pulse 167 BPM in July. I think I might have given a bit more.

In September when I ran my marathoon with average 166 BPM I crashed at 32 km mark making it very difficult to get to the finish line. I suppose it was a bit too high for a marathon.

With half marathon I assume it is quite safe to go with slightly lover pulse than you do for 10K race as long as you feel more or less comfortable because most likely you will not run out of fuel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...