Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

412 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 9:22 AM by shipo
Ohio Pete Amateur 32 posts since
Jun 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 9:06 AM

Half marathon training, shin splints and my 14 yr old daughter

My daughter and I are training for her 1st half marathon October 20 (ive done many and 5 full marathons). I started her early summer with 1-2 mile runs 3-4 x per week, which got her ready for cross country, where she runs 4-5 x per week 3 - 4 miles. She was fitted at a running store with the proper shoe (asics GT 2000). We are scheduled to run 9 this weekend and her attitude has been great. She is slow (11 min) but doesnt stop or complain. But she has horrible shin splints -- she also Irish dances 2-3x per week which no doubt is an underlying factor. The PT guy at her high school said stop everything (running and dance) for one week, do the exercises/stretches and ice. Im concerned a ramp up back to 10+ miles will be too quick and risk injury, but honestly all we both want is for her to finish the half respectably and pain free.

Thoughts? Skip 9 this week, no weekday runs, then do 5 mi next weekend, full cross country training during the week, then 11 following weekend, then 12, then 13.1, maintaining her cross country regimen in between. I think her conditioning and pace should allow for that...

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

Based upon my own bout with shin splints I have a couple of comments:

• Taking some time off was what finally turned the corner on my leg pain and got rid of the shin splints
    • When I went back to running I did so on a soft dirt trail (harder on the muscles, easier on the joints and connective tissue).

Is there any chance of y'all continuing at least some of your training on dirt?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...