Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1128 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2013 5:40 AM by shipo
csanyer Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 18, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 8:59 PM

Mileage and Pacing

I’m a new runner and am actually enjoying running for the first time in my life. It has become a way to unwind and I am really liking the boost in energy and my mood I get from the endorphins. I am now at a point where I am now running for about 45 minutes to an hour at a consistent pace of eleven-minute miles. I want to work on increasing my pace and mileage but am not sure how to go about doing so. I am worried that if I push myself too hard I will get injured and loose my motivation to keep running. I am wondering if any one has suggestions on how to increase my mileage and pace in a safe and "doable" way? The last thing I want is for running to stop being fun or to backtrack on the progress I have been making.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 21, 2013 7:37 AM (in response to csanyer)
    Mileage and Pacing

Typically folks concentrate on speed or distance, but not both at the same time.

While I don't want to speak for anyone else, whenever I get back into running, I concentrate on Long Slow Distance (LSD) first, and once I'm able to consistently able to run six to eight miles, then, and ONLY then, do I start working in some speed.

In your case, it sounds like you have a pretty good base of miles, and this in turn means you're probably ready to start extending your runs up into the six to eight mile realm.  Keep us posted. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 21, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to csanyer)
    Mileage and Pacing

You don't say how long you've been running, or how many days/miles per week you are running.  Basically I think shipo is right, you want to work on increasing weekly mileage first, until you're running maybe 20 - 25 miles per week, with a long with of about 8 miles.  After you've done that for a several weeks (6 to 8), you can convert some of your regular runs into speedwork, to work on pace.

Len

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    4. Sep 22, 2013 5:40 AM (in response to csanyer)
    Mileage and Pacing

csanyer wrote:

From what I gather from both you and shipo, I should first work on increasing my distance and total milage per week, and then look more into speed work?

Yes, exactly.  Build your base of miles which in turn builds the infrastructure of your body so it can endure harder (speed) work without getting injured.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points