Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

887 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 3:52 PM by LStanhope RSS
SarahBlumenshine Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 9:46 PM

Fatigue Issues

Hello All -

Hoping you will have some suggestions for me.  I am a newbie runner, recently finished the C25k, been running a total of 2.5 months.  Prior to the C25k it had been a couple of years since I had exercised regularly.  I ran my first 5k race a week ago and have been trying to keep up a routine of 8 or 9 miles a week over three runs.  The problem is, my body is SO TIRED.  I even feel it going up the stairs in my house - my quads burn.  There was a time during the buildup to 5k that I felt great...like I could have just kept running even when my 2 or 3 miles were up.  But since about a week prior to the race, I have just been gutting my runs out and now that the race is over, I am struggling with motivation.  Should I taper off the mileage for a week or two?  Or should I try to push through it?  Any tips for how I can get to the next step would be very helpful.  Thanks!

• shipo Legend 447 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 21, 2013 7:39 AM (in response to SarahBlumenshine)
    Fatigue Issues

Have you been timing your runs?  I ask because you might be running faster than you realize and too fast for your level of conditioning.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,327 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 21, 2013 7:49 AM (in response to shipo)
    Fatigue Issues

+1 on shipo's comment.  Having gotten in "race mode" you may be pushing too hard on your regular runs.  The other things to consider are your diet, that you're eating properly and hydrating properly; and other issues in your life, work or personal, that may be having an effect.

Len

• LStanhope Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 24, 2013
    5. Sep 23, 2013 3:52 PM (in response to SarahBlumenshine)
    Fatigue Issues

In addition to timing your runs, have you tried cross-training? Aside from the physical benefits (like strengthening my core and my knees, etc.), cross-training just lets me "spice" things up with my running. This has helped me stay motivated and it may work for you. Kudos to you for the 5K!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points