Skip navigation

577 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 11:58 AM by shipo RSS
Amy1129 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2013 11:18 AM

2013 Detroit Marathon Bib Available

If anyone is interested in getting a registration transferred to them for the upcoming 2013 Detroit Marathon (Sunday, October 20), please respond to this thread.  My running partner has a bad IT band tear and is no longer able to run.  Unfortunately, the marathon does not offer refunds or deferrals but this year they do allow for registrations to be transferred to another runner.  This marathon has been full for a long time now so we're hoping someone will be able to use his registration who was maybe not able to get registered in time.

Thanks! 

• shipo Legend 444 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 23, 2013 10:22 AM (in response to Amy1129)
    2013 Detroit Marathon Registration Transfer Available

Hey Amy,

While I will not be able to take the registration as I won't be in the Detroit area until Thanksgiving (I live in New Hampshire now), I couldn't help but be curious to see if/how much the marathon had changed since I ran it in 1979.  I just had a look-see at the course map and YIKES!, other than the fact that it is still an international marathon, virtually nothing remains the same.  Back when I ran it, we started in Windsor, ran through the tunnel, and then headed up to Grosse Pointe before looping back down to Belle Isle to do a lap of the island prior to the finish.

Good luck transferring the registration and keep us posted on how you do. 

Regards,

Dale

• shipo Legend 444 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Sep 23, 2013 11:58 AM (in response to Amy1129)
    2013 Detroit Marathon Registration Transfer Available

Good luck Amy,

The 1979 Detroit Marathon was my one and only marathon, and back in that era we didn't get any finisher's medals.  In fact, I got my very first (and second) finisher's medal of my life last weekend when I finshed the Reach the Beach New Hampshire relay on an "ultra" team.  It seems that finishers from 12-person "normal" teams get one medal, and finishers from 6-person "ultra" teams get two; I'm not entirely sure about the logic behind that (other than the obvious fact that ultra folks run twice as far), but hey, I went from zero to two medals on one swell foop. 

How many marathons has your mom completed (she sounds like a pretty chill lady)?

Regards,

Dale

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...