Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11216 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 5:36 AM by LisaHelt0 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • hadingrh Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 9, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to LisaHelt0)
    Semi - Newbie....Speed & Distance Questions

LOL, funny treadmill. You must have been fun with it

• ChristinaFedorick Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2013
    16. Oct 16, 2013 6:15 PM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Hi Lisa! I am a strong supporter of Jeff Galloway's Run Walk Run method of running! He is a very well known marathon runner featured in Runner's World. He has completed numerous marathon's without walking, but finds he can run just as fast with his Run Walk Run method and with less muscle fatigue and soreness. I use this method and even though I just started running 5 months ago, I will be running my first half marathon this Sunday with a target time of 2hrs. 10 minutes! When I started, I could barely run for a minute and a half without getting tired out; his method really works; hope you give it a try! :)

• Peg-run Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    17. Oct 24, 2013 9:01 AM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Here's a tip that I was given by my personal trainer & friend who got me into running at 55 years old. When you're in an event pick out a person ahead of you and push to overtake them. If you pass them, pick out someone new, if you don't pass them? No biggie, you have still upped your pace. You're doing great by signing up for your events in advance, how about challenging yourself and putting a 10K on the books? Training for the next level will help with your shorter distance runs. When you're on the treadmill, take your incline to 2 or 3 to compensate for the wind resistance and other terrain variables that come into play with running outside. Good luck & HAVE FUN!!!

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    19. Nov 6, 2013 7:34 AM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Hmmm, Millie or cold snowy miles...  Personally I'd retire Millie, buy some cold weather running gear, and get outside (which in fact is what I do).

As for the general question of how do you up your training; it sounds to me like you need miles, miles, and more miles.  If you can at least maintain your current level of conditioning through the winter, you shold be in a very good position to log lots of miles next spring, summer, and fall.  Were I in your shoes, I'd shoot for running 30-40 miles per week by end of summer; bump it to 40-50 miles per week next fall, and then taper down to the 20-30 miles per week level a week or two before your race. 

• CLV_2 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    21. Nov 13, 2013 2:28 AM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Hi, I'm also living in the frozen tundra.  I run all winter outside. My advice, besides good clothes is to stop worrying about distance and speed when running through the winter.  I know this sounds strange, but the point is to be out there maintaining.  Plan to run or run/ walk for 30 min, then turn around and head back.  (Adjust time for your current fitness) If you are running in snow or trying to avoid icy patches, you will be running slower, but that's ok. It is more important that you are careful. I find that running on roads means clear pavement... They keep the roads pretty clear, not so much the sidewalks. Of course this depends on the traffic in your area-safety first.

I also agree with many of the others, with distance comes speed. Stop watching the pace so much and just try to enjoy the feeling of fresh air in your lungs and the meditative sounds of your feet and your breath. Love it first and you'll have many happy years of running ahead of you.

• Chuck1945 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 15, 2013
    22. Nov 15, 2013 11:03 PM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Just joined Active.Com.

I also am am a semi-newbie, 68 years old, 6'3", 205 hopefully heading for 190. I started a fittness program 8 years ago when I was 280 and other potential health issues. I walked the first 5 months but when the weather got better the next Spring, I started riding my bike. Even though I started running with some specific goals this year, I am still more of a bike rider who cross trains by running, at least during the summer months. When the weather starts getting nasty I will run more than I ride.

Regarding nutrion Lisa, I would encourage you to eat something prior to running. As your distances and speeds are increased (however slowly that may be), your body needs more and more fuel to keep going. A light meal with some protien and carbs can help keep you going, just dont run immediately after eating. During the past summer I tried early morning runs before it got too hot and usually ate one of those 90-120 calorie granola type bars about 30 minutes before setting out (3-3.5 mile runs). Now that the weather is cooler (hell, its snowing atm!) I have my normal breakfast - a container of greek style yogurt and a banana before running.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    23. Nov 16, 2013 6:33 AM (in response to Chuck1945)

Eating before your run is pretty much a personal choice.  I rarely eat before a run, even before a marathon.  And then I have to eat several hours before to avoid stomach upset during the race.  The fuel for your average training run comes from stored fat and glycogen (carbs).  Typically you have enough fuel for something approaching 20 miles.  What you eat shortly before a workout generally won't be digested and make its way to the muscles in time to be of much help on shorter runs.  It may be of some help on longer runs though.

Len

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    24. Nov 16, 2013 9:58 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Semi - Newbie....Speed & Distance Questions

Len's advice dovetails nicely with how I've done it for years and how my body likes to be treated; that said, twice this year I've eaten something before a race.  The first time was a very hilly 10-miler scheduled to start at 9:00 AM on a hot and humid day; I set my alarm for 4:30, got up and had a pot of green tea, a couple of eggs and a couple of pieces of toast before going back to bed.  The second time was a bit unusual as I was in the midst of running my segments of Reach the Beach - NH and given that between the start of my first leg and the end of my last leg some 26 hours elapsed, I (actually all six of us) had no choice but to eat between legs (get your minds out of the gutter folks). 

• justamaniac Legend 189 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    25. Nov 17, 2013 6:27 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I almost always will have eaten something before a run - granted it will have been at least an hour, preferably more, beforehand, but I'll have something like a banana or piece of toast with peanut butter. But what Len is saying corroberates with what I've heard from other experienced runners (of which Len is one) -and that is that we are running on the fuel that we took on some time ago and not what we ate just prior to the run. So I'm guessing that it is just a psychological thing that I "have to eat something" prior to a run...  interesting...

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• AllisonSweeney0 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2012
    26. Nov 20, 2013 12:54 PM (in response to LisaHelt0)

Hi Lisa,

I'm in the Northeast, and we are entering into our 30-40 degree days as well (which makes for some VERY chilly mornings). I generally follow CLV's advice and take shorter runs distance wise in the winter and just focus on the time outside and making sure I have a safe run.

Investing in some good winter clothes will help with the cold, and the more you get out and run the more you will figure out what works best for you (which is the most important thing).

I've also found the following guide to be helpful so that I don't overlayer (taken from https://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Layer-This-Winter).

1. From 32 degrees to 20 degrees: Use a hat, light gloves, a base layer and running tights.

2. From 20 degrees to 10 degrees: Use a hat, heavy gloves, a base layer, a jacket and running tights.

3. From 10 degrees to minus 10 degrees: Use a hat, heavy gloves, a neck gaiter, a face mask, two base layers, a jacket, running tights and winter running pants.

4. Below minus 10 degrees: Wear two hats, two gloves, a neck gaiter, a face mask, two base layers, a winter ski jacket, long underwear, running tights and winter running pants.

This guide makes it seem like you're not wearing much, but don't forget that you're working hard! Keep up the good work!

Allison

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points