Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

689 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 5:58 PM by imoldandslow
imoldandslow Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 14, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2013 2:01 PM

Knee Pain.....

Hi everyone, Im kknew here and happy to join the forum

I ran in a race this weekend and about 1 mile in I got some pretty bad knee/leg pain.   I ran through it and it went away about a mile later.  Later that day the outside of my knee started stiffining up and a couple days later it still hurts and is pretty stiff.  It's a little odd because the pain comes and goes...for instance Im fine for a while until I walk up or down stairs..then the pain comes back and stays.  This race was the first run I have been on for about a month so I dont think I am over doing it.  LOL!

Does this sound like an IT Band injury and is it something i need to see the doc for?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 14, 2013 4:50 PM (in response to imoldandslow)
    Knee Pain.....

I agree it "sounds like" ITBS but that doesn't mean it is ITBS. If you really are old and slow and not "over doing it," you are less likely to be suffering from this classic overuse injury that plagues the highly active.

Underdoing it can be just as much of a problem in a case like this. If you raced after a month of not running at all, I could see how your muscles might lock up and cause pain due to under-use. You just weren't ready for prime time, imoldandslow. Next time you want to race, train for it in a program like C25K, or something else that lasts long enough to prepare you. Otherwise, you're just asking for it, racing cold-turkey without proper training.

As to whether a doc is required, I'd wait another day or two to see if the problem lasts longer than it usually would for many people under similar circumstances, which is a few days. If it persists, you might want to see a doc and get a referral for a PT who can evaluate your biomechanics to see if you might be predisposed to ITBS or other painful conditions.

Meanwhile, study up on self-massage techniques to quiet down tight muscles, and plan on approaching your next race in baby steps. Since the pain comes and goes, I think it is muscular, and that you are otherwise OK.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...