Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1276 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM by Haselsmasher
delooshmommy Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 15, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2013 8:18 AM

injuries

I just took up running again after taking 3 years off. I have been taking it easy and walking/jogging about 3-4 miles outside to get back into it. I had one day where I went about 5.5 miles, and since then everything has been hurting. My knees hurt when I try to jog, but mostly my ankles and bottoms of my feet when I walk- especially going up and down stairs and when I am barefoot. Sometimes my ankle hurts when its resting, too. I have never experienced any exercise related injuries, so I don't know if this is something that rest will take care of, or if I need to see a doctor. I am hoping rest will take care of this, but I am dying to get back out running again!

If you have had any injuries, how long do you take off and when do you know when it's time to see a doctor.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Oct 15, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to delooshmommy)
    Re: injuries

I've been running off and on (probably a bit more off than on) for over 40 years now and have suffered numerous aches and pains during times when I "get back into it", and what you're feeling mimic pretty much everything I've dealt with.  Long story short, taking some time off to allow the pain to subside followed by an easier (read slower pace and shorter distances) training schedule is what has worked for me.

One other thought, even "shorter and slower" thing wasn't enough to allow me to start running after my most recent broken leg (over 10 years ago now); in addition to slowing the pace and shortening my distance (until I got into better shape), I also needed to stop running on pavement.  I found a soft dirt trail and that made all difference; month one, eight miles, month two, eighteen miles, month three, fifty-six miles...  You get the idea. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM (in response to delooshmommy)
    Re: injuries

I used to bike a lot.  Then I took a bunch of time off.  And when I got back into it I got extremely frustrated.  My mind remembered how far and fast I used to ride, but my body had completely forgotten and was not up to the task at all.  I think people who used to be accomplished and fit at something have a harder time returning, because they know what fit feels like and want to get there fast.

Two things in your post are possible issues:  The word "recently" (you recently returned to running) and "5.5 miles".  How many weeks have you taken to build up to that 5.5 miles?  Is it faster than what one would recommend for a brand new runner?  Remember - C25K is a 9 week program to get to 3.1 miles.  To go from 3.1 to 5.5 conventional wisdom would say follow the 10%/wk rule.  Between those two you're talking quite a number of weeks.  Have you gone faster than that? 

Even if you've been active you can only short-cut so much, as your body needs to readjust and get used to the rigors and pounding of running.  So even if your lungs can take it - that doesn't mean your body can.  At least possibly not yet.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...